1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J.D. Salinger RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'll have to call old Mr. Antolini.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's great.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I read Catcher, too, and didn't understand it's greatness.
    Sort of reminded me of Kerouac's Vanity of Delouz effort, which I also didn't "get" when I read it.
    I need to make a pledge to re-read both of them. I still have both books.
    After all, it was a second or third screening of the Glengarry Glen Ross movie which allowed me to see its brilliance.

RIP J.D.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the Kerouac comparable to Catcher is "On the Road". Vanity is a a minor work.

I read Catcher in the Rye when I was in high school--mid 60's--and was absolutely bowled over.

I read it (with trepidation) again about four or five years ago and it still stands up. Yeah, some of it is dated but hey, so is Jane Austen.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do you want me to sit here and explain to you the concepts of life and death?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I loved Catcher in the Rye. It is a rare novel that is easy to read, yet packed with so many different layers that it can be interpreted a million different ways (and is).

It's thought-provoking fiction writing at its absolute best.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They'd done a great Salinger piece before, too.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/new_terminator_movie_brings_j_d

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Time to put on my people-shooting hat. Read it in high school, didn't get much out of it, but wondered why the hell people would want to ban it.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, besides my earlier comment, I, and the rest of my class, didn't really see what the big deal was about the book. It just seemed really dated.

11. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Great piece from the local paper up there about the town's unspoken commitment to maintaining Salinger's privacy throughout his life:
    http://www.vnews.com/01292010/6354574.htm

12. That was a great story ... Lots of quotes from lots of people. ... Hell of a job for a one-day job!

Draft saved Draft deleted