1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iverson a Nugget

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fmrsped, Dec 19, 2006.

1. XXXX

XXXX Member

look i hate billy king as much as anyone else in the league. and if the sixers make the playoffs they don't get their draft pick, i know its unlikely but still. also billy king has not been that bad at drafting. he drafts well. since he took over as gm when larry brown left:
    2003: willie green and kyle korver (both 2nd rd.) real good picks in the late 2nd rd.
    2004: andre igoudala (#9 pick) pretty good pick. if you look back he is the best player that was left in that draft. hes a solid player with great potential
    2005: Louis williams (2nd rd.) no first rd. draft picks, not a good pick. but too early to call
    2006: rodney carney (14 pick) too early to call, but he has looked real impressive so far.

King's problem is not drafting, his problem is signing players to long term contracts, i.e. Dalembert, Buckner, corliss williamson, kenny thomas, etc. his trades always look good on paper (webber trade) and most are (stackhouse for theo ratliff and aaron mckie, mutombo for theo ratliff,).

but still FIRE BILLY KING. the fact that he couldn't capitalize on iverson his whole career, really pisses me off as a sixer fan. he needs to go, but i wouldn't want a new gm going into this draft, because he wouldn't have enough time to evaluate the team and what we need. i really think he will turn these picks into something. PLEASE GOD LET US DRAFT GREG ODEN (no matter what, even if wedon't end up #1 we could package something together)!!!!! its a deep draft and hopefully we'll get some players for the future.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a steal for the Sixers if those two draft picks turn into Sarah McLachlan and Jewel.

Andre Miller and Joe Smith are two solid role players that will make the Sixers a better total package. And -- here's the big thing -- this wasn't exactly a seller's market. Iverson and the Sixers were obviously done, and everybody knew it.

I will agree that, historically, and not just in Billy King's time, the Sixers have been notoriously questionable drafters. They never go for the obvious, safe pick, always reach for the project or the sleeper. And that doesn't pan out all that often.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Joe Smith ain't nothin' but an expiring contract, Shot. I'd be surprised if he was even a Sixer next year. If those two picks are busts, it's Iverson for Andre Miller, and that is not a steal.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Remember when Joe Smith was the next big thing?

I remember that, very vaguely.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was about the time I started hating Gary Williams.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately for Carmelo, he's been more aggressive in other areas.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Joe Smith has gone from "the next big thing" to "an expiring contract."

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'll say this about Joe Smith. He's not a superstar, but he's a pretty solid player(I should say used to be).

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What are AI's career numbers when the 76ers played at Denver? It would be interesting to note his ability to play in a higher altitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted