1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've stopped watching the news

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I generally watch the local news for 10-15 minutes in the morning to hear the local top stories, weather and traffic. And if I am catching a later train, I will usually watch the first 10 or so minutes of the Today show.

Otherwise, absent a major story, I rarely watch the news.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

CNN is a disgrace to newsgathering. Anything save MSNBC is a better alternative.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Must be nice to present your front page centerpiece design at the 6 pm meeting, especially when it's often scheduled weeks in advance.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/a/168942/from-the-newsroom-how-does-the-print-newspaper-get-created/

And of course, there's breaking news which are special situations on which all the elements of the front page come together at 9:30, a mere three hours before deadline.

Then there's Gatehouse, which, while many things with them have changed, such as consolidating their designing, once told its papers that they should be planning centerpieces a week in advance.

http://www.ghnewsroom.com/x38416208/Culture-Cube-How-to-plan?template=printart

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, good.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Newspapers still have 12:30 deadlines? In what universe?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We don't want to know what universe Baron lives in.

7. Baron Scicluna

In that paper's universe.

Hey, I don't set the deadlines.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I only occasionally watch the local news. I live in a top 50 market and a couple of the stations are high achievers that regularly send people off to the national nets or top 5 markets. So there's some decent talent but the coverage tends to be routine.

And planning is stupid. It is so dumb that I can tell you my planned centerpiece not just for this Tuesday but also next Tuesday. And I'm reasonably confident for the Tuesday after. What an utter waste of time.

Dumb.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I watch local news on TV the way research shows almost everybody does -- for the weather and that's it.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fox CNN MSNBC are all shit.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, Fart, don't forget Fox.
    You must have left it out because it's not journalism.

12. Baron Scicluna

Yeah it's not news. It's entertainment.

Are we all entertained yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted