1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've seen it all now

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Aug 9, 2006.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I am pretty sure I just read an International advance and umm, until the recent writethru quoting Mickelson, the only freakin golfer mentioned is one who isn't playing.

An advance on trying to attract Tiger to next year's event. No mention of when this year's begins, no mention of who IS in this year's. Nice. My editor would probably fire me on the spot if I turned that it.

Someobday please just tell me I'm wrong and I completely overlooked something. I can accept that. I've been awake since 5 a.m. I'm tired.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Writer, lick balls. Lick balls, writer."

Nothing new here.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For some reason, DyePack always talks about licking balls when commenting on Tiger Woods stories. Draw your own conclusions.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As much as I'd like to have a sophisticated golf readership .. the general public will care about:

1) is Tiger playing this week?

-or-

2) why isn't Tiger playing this week?

True golf fans will care who wins regardless. The fly-by-night fans only care about Tiger and Phil. Sadly, we tend to have to cater to the latter.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The only conclusion to draw:

Consistent coverage for someone not participating in an event or someone out of contention has to stem from something.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Every year the International tournament seems to have more stories on problems organizers have of attracting the top names on the PGA Tour. I do know Els, Goosen and others usually play in it.

Tiger doesn't play it because -- Buick doesn't sponsor it, it's not a major, it's usually right before a major and he doesn't play in most PGA Tour events.

OR

It's that damn scoring system employed at this tournament.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is a story at this tournament every year, largely because the owner of Castle Pines CC, an old, rich guy named Jack Vickers, makes it one.

Vickers is one of those crusty old farts who thinks because he has more money than God, he should get whatever the hell he wants. Two years ago, the Denver Post did a story quoting Vickers in full whine mode lamenting the fact Tiger won't play in his tournament and demanding a new date from the PGA Tour so Tiger will play.

From the latest story....

"When we started off this event we had all the players. It's a little different now today," Vickers said. "I think we still have all the players for the most part. But we're missing one guy — the most important guy."

This is the same quote he gave the Post two years ago.

Claws for Concern pointed out several of the reasons Tiger doesn't play (and probably won't) play the International any time soon. Let me add another one: even though he's played there before, it's doubtful Tiger wants to play in a tournament at that high of an elevation right before a major for what it does to his swing.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's all true.

Draft saved Draft deleted