1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been (wire) tapped!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 22, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

While on vacation last week, a letter came from the U.S. Attorney's office that I just saw today.

As part of their investigation into mafia wrongdoings and other assorted criminal activity. Phones call from my phone to phone that was tapped were intercepted.

And, I guess, because of First Amendment issues (?) the paper was notified.

Thoughts, questions or comments please

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope your bookie stays out of jail.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your work phone or personal phone? Does your paper have a legal department? If so, speak to them immediately.

4. JayFarrar

Yes we do on the legal department and it says calls to the person's cell phone who is under investigation.
    Any calls into that number, for around three months, would have been tapped.
    I know I talked to that person on at least my office phone and, I think, my cellphone as well.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's nothing to freak out about.

This is standard. Once the investigation is over, they're required by law to inform you that you were picked up on a wiretap.

Jay, did the target get arrested?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

You should be OK but talk to legal ASAP. They need to know this.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did you call legal?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Who were the feds after? Did he/she have an anus?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

wow.

10. JayFarrar

Slaps, jlee is recounting my epic tale of the girl I knew who doesn't have an asshole. I hope.
    And publisher notified, legal department advised.
    The feds say it is standard practice and also they are legally required to notify anyone who has caught on the other end of the wiretap.
    Like I told the U.S. Attorney, the letter was dated on my birthday and it made for one awesome, but late, present.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I work with someone who surely has double the anus of a normal person. Perhaps they could be an anus donor.

Draft saved Draft deleted