1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been invited to join the Kiwanis. Should I?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure: If you work for a newspaper, you cannot join the Optimists.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Shiners.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Is Shiners an inside joke somehow?

4. I want to join the group Pete did the story on that brought in the strippers with club money.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No, just a typo from earlier.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I stopped reading here, because that was EXACTLY what I was going to say. Word for word. :)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not exactly, Buck. My brother-in-law is big in the NJ Elks and he's involved in two or three charity/service events events month.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My only recollection of Kiwanis was my grandpa and his friends. They all became Kiwanis members in their 50s and never moved up to the Sr. Kiwanis. Decades later, nobody would join the Kiwanis because it was just a bunch of 80 and 90-year-olds hawking peanuts at busy intersections.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm an Elk. We do a lot of charitable/service projects.
    I was trying to distinguish. The Elks has a strong fraternal tradition, whereas Rotary and Kiwanis tend to be only service clubs.
    Of course, that said, my Rotary club has several social functions every year.
    A person can really dictate his or her level of involvement in either case. I attend Elks' functions, but I have not been very active as a volunteer. With Rotary, I have headed the scholarship comittee, built bikes for kids and serve on the board.
    It's really up to each person.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What were Fred and Barney in?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Water Buffalo Lodge

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Royal Order of the Water Buffalo.

I think that, perhaps, Fred was once Grand Poobah.

Draft saved Draft deleted