1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Watch!... Neighborhood Watch. Not shoot.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that my post above about my nausea at how this played out was directed at the left, as well.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Understood.

But, once you start slinging shit, everyone is going to get dirty.

Anyone who is happy that a 17-year-old "black thug" got what was coming to him is a piece of shit.

But, the same goes for folks who wanted a conviction just to get their pound of flesh, to satisfy their blood lust, to "even the score".

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The thing is, though, that most people lack the self-awareness to realize they fall into either category. It's all going on at a very subconscious level, but, outside looking in, it's quite unmistakable.

4. YankeeFan

You're probably right.

But, some very smart people assume that folks who don't see the case the same way they do are doing so not because of the facts of the case, but purely because of how the other side views racial attitudes in America.

Oh shit! I just described myself.

But, I'm right! Everyone on the other side is a race baiter, determined to foment racial discourse in America.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you meant "racial discord."

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is one reason I sort of roll my eyes about the gnashing of teeth over the stand your ground law.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If Martin really jumped him, got on top of him and was beating on him "MMA style," how was Zimmerman supposed to retreat? I think stand your ground was an absolute non-factor in this case because the prosecution had no way to refute Zimmerman's story. His claim was he had no choice but to shoot Martin, not that he chose to fight rather than run.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Convenient for the president that all of this takes the focus off Benghazi.
    CNN is already cutting up video for a show on the highlights of the George Zimmerman trial.

9. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Just so we're clear, jury instructions weren't the only time Stand Your Ground came up during the trial. It was talked about quite a bit the first week of July.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In response to the verdict some friend of a Facebook friend posted that: 1) "the South is simply not civilized"; and 2) to live in the South was "to live among a bunch of barbarians." Now I am sure this chap fancies himself among the "very smart people" set, but I might beg to differ ...

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Southerner, your friend is equally wrong and right.

12. YankeeFan

Yeah, if Dick is allowed to be outraged by this case, can some of us at least voice some frustration with the way the left sets up an issue, and then declares themselves to be smarter, more evolved, and more empathetic, because they view the issue differently than others of us do?

Can we especially be frustrated when they make this determination based on fact not in evidence?

Because you wore your "hoodie up" or participated in a march, you're now somehow better than me, and decide to look down upon me as some kind of un-evolved person?

Bullshit.

And, they do this on all sorts of issues.

And, uncritical thinkers, like -- oh, never mind, you know who they are, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings -- fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

To be a "good person", you have to agree with the left on political, social, racial issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.