1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's time to move on

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

It's time to get going
    What lies ahead I have no way of knowing
    But under my feet babe, the grass is growing
    It's time to move on ... Time to get going ...

Tom Petty - Time to Move On - Wildflowers

Now after that musical interlude, here's the deal:

I'm leaving the business. I'm packing my bags and headed South to try new things. Turned in the two weeks notice today and I already feel more relieved. I've had an up and down 10 year run in this business. I've copy edited, designed, written columns, features, puff pieces and hard hitters. But I've finally had it with where this place is going. I'll still be in touch on these forums, but hopefully I won't be as irritable.

It's been a rocky romance with journalism but finally I left it standing at the altar before I turned 30.

You can ask any questions you like, I'm not afraid of any outing at this point.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Tommy.

Since you opened it up for questions....Any idea what you are going to do next? What finally tipped the scales to get you to leave?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As a former co-worker said when I left a gig once upon a time, "congrats!" He extended his hand and shook mine, and all was well with the world.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get the fuck out of here. No interlopers allowed. :D

Good luck in your new field!

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. One time as I was leaving a job, every single person I told congratulated me on my departure without before I even got around to telling them where I was going. Kinda makes you wonder about the place, eh?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Cowboys still suck, Tommy. The field in which you work can never change that.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Good luck buddy, and much success in your future...and just remember, you may not be a journalist any more, but you can always ask questions...

Never lose that.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's OK, admit to being a Romosexual already.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Thinking seriously about getting into teaching. high school history even journalism lol, yeah I said it. The scales got tipped when I realized how disgusted I was every time I walked into the building. Also, I got tired of doing the work of four people and getting paid (badly) as if I was only doing one job.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Yeah, they really sucked in Week 3 :D

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

But on a serious note, congrats on making the change you wanted to make and best of luck with the move and career change.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Kinda like the Cubs? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted