1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the economy, stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 1, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, canned goods in so much as I think agricultural commodities have been a fine idea -- and will continue to be a fine idea as they screw up everything with their crappy monetary policy. In fact, farm land might be one the best long-term investments I can think of right now.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The concept of billionaire preppy-boy, silver-spooner, child of privilege, pampered-protege Willard-Mitt, whose entire financial experience consists of buying companies, mooching tax benefits, slashing payrolls and taking golden buyouts, having any goddamn idea (or desire) in the world how to actually create economic activity or jobs is by definition preposterous.

They don't want to create jobs, they want to ELIMINATE jobs. Employees are expense items.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, some concepts are just difficult for the weak-minded to handle.

4. Starman

Speak for yourself, sonny boy.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These aren't the droids you're looking for ...

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The rush to buy farm land is destroying what's left of family farms. Farm ground that went for $1,500 per acre 10 years ago is now at $10,000 per. I've seen auctions where $20,000 an acre bought a 120-acre parcel.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I cold be wrong but I'd venture that more jobs were probably cut than added among companies taken over by Bain Capital given private equity's classic "leverage-gut-flip" model of the past several decades.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/ad_mitt_mistakes_jRmd2LHaPIb0bbNn1ZkgaJ

8. Starman

Apparently Rupert has laid off too many copy editors: The word "lies" is not spelled "m-i-s-t-a-k-e-s."

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton disagrees.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So Romney's a publisher?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm sure Obama has his eye on the economy today.

No, wait, he's attending six fundraisers today.

Friday’s Obama Schedule
    9:15 am ET || Departs White House
    10:45 am CT || Arrives Minneapolis, Minnesota
    11:45 am CT || Tours Honeywell’s Golden Valley facility; Golden Valley, Minnesota
    12:10 pm CT || Delivers remarks urging Congress to act on the “To Do List”
    1:15 pm CT || Speaks at a fundraiser; Bachelor Farmer Restaurant; Minneapolis, Minnesota
    1:50 pm CT || Attends a fundraiser; Bachelor Farmer Restaurant
    2:25 pm CT || Attends a fundraiser; Bachelor Farmer Restaurant
    3:20 pm CT || Departs Minnesota
    4:20 pm CT || Arrives Chicago
    6:10 pm CT || Speaks at a fundraiser; Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, Illinois
    7:25 pm CT || Speaks at a fundraiser; private residence, Chicago, Illinois
    8:55 pm CT || Speaks at a fundraiser; private residence, Chicago, Illinois

12. Starman

a) What do you want him to do about it TODAY?

b) If he indeed has any plans to do anything about it today, what in the flaming flying fuck makes you think the Repubstructionists will let it pass? If Obama proposed a bill stating "puppies are cute and apple pie is yummy," they'd shoot it down.

The economy going into a tailspin RIGHT ABOUT NOW is precisely what the Party of No Hope has been praying for for about 3 years and 8 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted