1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Still A Poll Tax, Part Trois.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Another day, another judge, another kick in the ass for that foof, "Sonny" Perdue.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/19/AR2006091901382.html

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Geez, I dunno FB, seems like a good idea to me. Doesn't everyone have to line up behind large groups of illegal immigrants to vote? I mean, I know there's nothing they like to do more than to meet with government officials and tell them their address.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So you need a valid, photo ID to go into the liquor store and buy booze. You need it to be cigarettes. Hell you need it to get into a bar. When I bounced I turned tons of people away because they didn't have ID. But somehow we're supposed to take someone at their word that they are who they are when they come vote?

Fenian, I'm no Bush backer and I'm no GOP voter, but I'd be more concerned about voter fraud than I would be about some 19 or 20 year old getting loaded at a bar. Why can't the same rules for a bar or liquor store apply in a voting booth? Tell me what I'm missing, why shouldn't there be a form of proper ID needed when you vote?

4. I probably disagree with FH on just about everything -- except this.

It's the same logic that make me not at all comprehend how minors need permission to get their ears pierced but not to get an abortion -- regardless of how you feel about the latter subject.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Drinking booze and buying smokes aren't constitutional principles this country was founded on.

As the guy in the story said, it needs to be easier, not harder, to vote.

If you're truly worried about voter fraud, take a look at absentee voting and that challenge sqauds BOTH sides send in to the others dominant polling places to try and get votes thrown out. That's where the problems lie.

This law, as judge after judge has said, would put a disproportionate burden on the poor and minorities to vote. So it's illegal.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

You are absolutly correct. What he said.

7. You guys don't understand - in FB's universe this is just another example of GWB wiping his ass with the Bill of Rights or GWB showing that he hates black people. You can't reason with FB when he gets like this (its gotten so much worse since John Ashcroft resigned because sharing everything bad between Ashcroft and Bush was easier for FB's mind to handle).

We can only hope that FB sparks up, throws on his Blonde on Blonde LP and falls asleep to his fantasy land dreams where George McGovern was elected President not Dick Nixon.

Hopefully this thread will drift off to page 3 and FB will have other angry man - George Bush caused my gall stones - issues to bother us with in the morning.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I didn't see Fenian mention Shrub. You, however, seem obsessed with him.

Answer me this honestly, though.

Why would anyone with a modicum of political insight want to place stricter laws on voting, knowing that BOTH SIDES dirty tricks departments will just use them to throw out legitimate votes?

Do you think that there are large numbers of people going to the polls and voting fraudulently? When most Americans don't vote, and if you wanted to committ voter fraud, it would be infinitely easier to do with an absentee ballot?

The only thing a law like this would do is turn away many, many more legitimate voters than people trying to cheat the system. And that really can't be argued.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Zeke, in this day and age, who the hell doesn't have some form of ID? Even if it's not a license, how about a state ID? I know it varies in some states, but we're still talking around $15-$20 for a state issued photo ID.

10. Zeke - it can also be argued that a person has a right to work and that working is part of a person's persuit of happiness.

To get a job in the US though you have to show at least two forms of ID otherwise your employer is breaking the law.

So in short - as an adult you have to show an ID for almost everything you do. Yet - you see no cause for people to have to show ID's when they perform perhaps their most important civic duty. According to you - we should just trust that people wouldn't try to stuff the ballot boxes with people voting early and often.

You live in a dream world. I'm sorry to say but your trusting nature indicates that you are probably in for a very rude awakening sometime soon. I hope you aren't too hurt when the real world smacks you up side your head.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

So it's too much of a burden to go the DMV to get a state ID? ::)

In Mass. one of the people running for Governor thinks we should be giving illegal immigrants drivers license's, he seems to think they're capable of taking 2 hours out of their year to obtain a license, and yet you don't think a person that wants to vote can make the time, or afford the $20 to obtain an ID.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

$15-$20 is still an amount of money that has to be spent to vote, right?

And $15-$20 is still a greater percentage of the income of someone making $10,000 a year than it is for a person making $50,000 a year, right?

And the person making $10K a year is most likely going to have to ride three buses out to the suburbs where they have moved the places to get these ID's, and miss a day of work in the process, right?

Poll tax.

Do not assume that your standard of living, or the one in which you were raised, or even the lowest one you are fairly familiar with, is the lowest out there. There are poorer people.

I remember good ole MLB back on one of the Katrina threads, saying "Who doesn't have a car?"

Well, believe it or not, a lot of people.

Draft saved Draft deleted