1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's six below zero where I'm at ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 4, 2010.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think Minnesota wins for coldest place ever. I was there several years ago for the Winter Carnival and it was like -30 degrees and I had to be outside in a sponsor tent. It was the coldest I've ever been in my life. I'm still cold.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I completely disagree with o_t on hot being better than cold. Give me 0-20 degrees F over 90+ any day of the week. I regularly four layers and really don't see what the big deal is. An undershirt, my work shirt and then a hoodie and a heavy wintercoat. That doesn't seem too impractical to me to go along with the gloves, hat and scarf. The one minute extra or so it takes me to get ready in the morning isn't that big of a deal.

Oh, and bagelchick's post reminded me that if any of you ever want to have the greatest time of your life in the snow and cold, head to Quebec City for their yearly Winter Carnival in February. I went the past two years and it was amazing. Bonhomme is waiting to welcome you!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

100F is about 37C. Not common in this neck of the woods but 90F or 32C is. Friggin hot anywhere between those two temps and it's a constant battle to stay cool. Not everyone has a lake to jump into and throwing cold water over your head is momentary relief. I wouldn't want to play baseball, go for a bike ride, or do much outside. You have to hide from the heat.

If it's 0F or about -17C, and if you dress properly, you can pretty much do anything you want---go for a walk, go skiing, play hockey outside. Hell, there are people who go winter camping in that weather and enjoy it more than summer camping.

And dressing properly in cold weather these days is easy given all the miracle fibres---and if your fingers get cold, it's because you bought a pair of crappy gloves.

And Dreunc is right about the La Carnivale in Quebec--it's a celebration of winter and the cold.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In this corner of Dixie, they play soccer in the winter. Tomorrow night is the first gamenight after the holiday break, and it should be in the mid-30s at gametime -- 5:30 p.m., which is just the perfect time to see that last bit of sunlight fading and the cold darkness spread over you. It'll be in the mid-20s by the end, around 9:30.
    Not exactly -70, I know. But for this part of the world it's pretty cold, and watching people run around in shorts while the folks on the bench stave off hypothermia isn't much fun.
    I'm waiting for the day when one of these idiot parents lights themselves on fire with their propane heater and takes out two rows of bleachers. Then maybe we can end this nonsense once and for all.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Playing soccer in the mid 30's is sheer lunacy. Football, maybe, but soccer?

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Expecting a low tonite of around 19, which ain't six below, but it's pretty fricken cold for these parts. Hell, we've already had our annual snowfall, about an inch and a half, the night of the state football championships in early December. First time in anyone's memory a high school football game in Mississippi was played in snow.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's about 17 here, which is fine. I can handle pretty much any cold as long as the wind is quiet.

I did have a fun day though. Woke up at 4:30 for inventory at our store and got back home at 2 to take a nap. Arrived at a local high school at 7 to cover a basketball game, and it was on fire. Good times.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We had flurries for most of the day here. Some of it stuck to parked cars, but none on the ground.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I agree with both sides - I hate when it's really hot and I hate when it's really cold. During the winter, I say I can't wait for the summer and in the dead of summer, I say I can't wait for the cooler weather.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree completely. They'll call it off when the weather's bad, and it's not district games tomorrow, so I'm hoping they postpone it. Failing that, I hope to god the pressbox is open.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Fuck. That. I don't want to live in a climate where it's even remotely close to that.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Christ. There is a 20-foot tall pile of snow 10 feet from my backdoor, right now.

And, back in the day, my buddies and I were drinking beer in HS over Christmas break. Set the case in the snowbank out back. Halfway through, we heard what we thought were gunshots. Sumbitchin' beers were freezing and exploding. Not cool.

The moral of the story, of course, is drink faster, numbnuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted