1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Performance Review Day!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yup. That's right. In about an hour I have a performance review. I'm not worried. I think I've done a damn good job the last year. And, I think I've handled the transition to news rather well.

But, the end of the review has the old "employee feedback" session.

I have a lot to say but much less tact. I'm afraid I'm going to say something I'll regret. Or, maybe worse, won't say anything at all.

There is a lot I'd like to confess and address in terms of how individuals are treated in the newsroom. And I'd also like to make the case I'm more valuable to the paper back in sports.

But the hell can do I all that - and not 1) come off like a whiner and 2) not piss off management, who, from what I can tell, will hold a grudge if I raise points counter to theirs.

2. I'd keep your mouth shut. We'd all love to vent, but it always comes back to bite you. Sad, but true.

3. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Oddly enough, I just had a feedback session today. Thankfully, mine was a questionnaire online, done through a third-party and anonymous.

4. Complaints at performance reviews are risky at any job (journalism or otherwise), but I think you can usually get away with it if you don't phrase it in the form of a complaint directed against a specific incident or incidents, and definitely not against a specific person. If you can turn your complaint into a suggestion for a new way of doing things or some solution that would improve the newsroom, it'll sound like you're addressing a general issue and coming up with solutions, rather than just airing a personal grievance.

Of course, sometimes there's no way to make something sound like anything but a grievance.

5. statrat

statrat Member

We used to have review sessions. Then they realized they might have to give us raises during said sessions. Then they furloughoughed us. Now the reviews are just daily reminders: "Work harder, we need to do more with less."

6. Pete Incaviglia

Mine's been delayed a few hours. But I'm still on deck today.

Thanks for the feedback.

7. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Less us know how it goes Pete...good luck

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Those were always the most mind-numbing 10 minutes of that particular day. Looking back, perhaps that's because I chose to sit, say nothing and accept whatever raise was given to me. I know people who were a lot more vocal during their reviews....with mixed results. With this job market, I'd prolly continue to sit quietly.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to gripe about things during my performace review. Thing is, I got along with my bosses and I would tell them in advance that it was going to be the one day out of the year that I would lay out my complaints and that would be the only time they would hear from me about them.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I was promoted to management 11 years ago this April. I am still waiting for my FIRST performance review.

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Perhaps you're supposed to schedule the reviews?

12. Pete Incaviglia

It went well, actually. I get along well with my manager (the city editor). Like I said, I was impressed with my transition to news, as was management, apparently.

The whole thing included a review, goal setting and a gripe session.

I calmly and tactfully said "I understand the current situation of our newsroom. I understand you had to do what you thought was best for the paper and work with what you had. However, I think my year in news has further proved my worth and I'd like to be moved back into sports when (man who bumped me) quits or retires (he's close to it). Until then, I'll do my best, not complain, try to obtain those goals we set today. But again, I want to make it abundantly clear, I would rather be in sports. That interests me more than news."

It seemed to be well received.

Draft saved Draft deleted