1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Over - Real Refs Returning. Or are they? *UPDATE* It's over.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Re: It's Over - Real Refs Returning

The people in Happy Valley appreciate your concerns.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd think it's pretty safe to say that when you earn 150K a year for 16 days of work for your second job, you're a 1-percenter.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know about 1 percenters, but for most of them the NFL income alone puts them high on the American scale, and most of them do this as a side job to another career (often a lucrative one, though there are teachers and judges and such who maybe don't make a ton but have a good middle-class base income).

That is one factor that has been driving the stalemate -- unlike the athletes who fold when they start missing checks, the refs don't desperately need the money and can afford to hold out.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, that is why folks didn't boycott the games.

I bet every union football player, and media member knew.

I bet all of the union folks putting together the broadcast knew.

So, why did no one support them?

5. LongTimeListener

Maybe because they don't care enough. You know what? That's probably it.

Your concern is noted.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

let's keep any hint of politics off this one, please.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, either the "replacement refs" either aren't scabs, because they didn't cross a picket line, or the NFLPA union members shared the playing field with scabs.

Which is it?

8. LongTimeListener

Also, as if there is any doubt left (for anyone besides shockey) that Goodell is a hypocrite bullshitter of the highest order, let us pause to remember that the Ravens are preparing to play their fourth game in 18 days. Player safety? He doesn't care. Nobody cares. And if there is any thought that they do care, go back and read Alan Schwarz on how the league office tried to shut down his reporting on concussions for the New York Times. The only reason they are showing they "care" now is the public shame and the multitude of lawsuits.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The players were certainly on the field playing football under the supervision of scabs.

Their CBA prevents them from staging any kind of sympathy walkout, I think.

Again, this was a lockout, not a strike. There was no picket line for fans or players to cross.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I didn't realize the officials flew into town on the morning of the game, worked the game and then flew home that night, without ever spending any time during the week, during the preseason or during the offseason on NFL matters.

That is a good gig.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Fair enough. It's a valid point, and I'm sure none of these refs are hurtin if you examined their tax returns. Nonetheless, just saying this labor battle doesn't have the same "rich vs. rich" public perception as an owners vs. players standoff.

Although, as you noted, the setup also works to their advantage. Unlike most players, they can survive just fine on other income sources.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well of course he has.

Draft saved Draft deleted