1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Over - Real Refs Returning. Or are they? *UPDATE* It's over.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Re: It's Over - Real Refs Returning

Funding benefits for millions of public employees is a huge issue.

Funding a pension for 119 employees of a $10 billion/year business is not.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's been nice to see in this whole thing is how the entire labor community came together to support he refs.

I mean, nobody crossed their picket lines to attend the games these last several weeks.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i apologize, ragu. i obviously didnt make several of my poimts clear... every now and then these egocentric owners feel the need to flex their muscle and remind the 'little guys' like players and refs who's boss. they went nto this thing knowing precisely how much 'credibility' they were willing to 'gamble' away ad came nowhere near reaching the breaking point, no matter the level of hysteria. the owners havent lost a thing in terms of attendance/ratings but the wiser among them (how big a push roger gave them i have no idea) understood that monday night's game was the game-changer. heck, if this had gone done in week 1 the refs would've been back in week 2.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wait, why are we talking about my sex life?

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Oversimplifying. If people actually did boycott games it would be crippling to local hotels, restaurants, bars etc., way more than just the league. The problem with trying to get people to boycott the NFL is that you're asking them to boycott culture which is basically impossible.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would bet that if you polled people walking into stadiums in the first three weeks, you'd get less than 20 percent awareness of the lockout.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Battles of 1-percenters vs. 1-percenters aren't really that much of a mainstream media favorite.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think they settled because of my boycott. Fear the power of Bubbler!

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

According to King, Ed Hochuli has been leading the refs in weekly "training:"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/26/referees-deal/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I never thought of referees as 1 percenters.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Maybe. But every team has flaws. The last two championship teams miss the playoffs if this happens to them. I may be a Packers fanboi but I don't think being pissed off about Monday night or acknowledging the consequences it could have is being all that unreasonable. The Packers are Giants were both a hair away from not even being playoff teams yet I don't think anyone could argue they were the best in the field during those postseasons.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What 'picket line?'

It's a lockout, not a strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted