1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's OK to use the same word twice. Really.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Feb 24, 2009.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

She missed "a chunk" of the first half, or "most" of the first half, or, if she actually missed 50% of the first half, a QUARTER.

2. Yep. There are myriad ways to go that don't involve the words "half the first half."

That's just piss-poor writing.

3. RTJ

RTJ Member

I wonder if the fingernail grew back before the start of the second half.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Those phrases did come to mind, but lets suppose she missed the 4 minutes of the first quarter and four minutes of the second quarter. That is half of a half is it not? True it is piss poor writing, no question there, but if you were writing and that situation occurred. How would you have phrased it?

5. RTJ

RTJ Member

She missed eight minutes of the first half.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

that's what i would do, use something like "she missed eight minutes of the first half." try and give a specific number of minutes.
    and i concur with waylon on how to take care of who in the F the Purple Wave are...."Lincoln's Purple Wave", as Waylon noted, would be way to go.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Before we start piling on too badly, I think the original poster mentioned that he wrote the example story himself for purposes of illustrating his point about nicknames.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

OK

9. RTJ

RTJ Member

Sorry, Drip. Not trying to be a jerk. There are just multiple ways to make that sentence sound better.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

No argument on that one. I just brought up an incident that has happened numerous times during my career. I just noted that it's kind of hard to get around it but as several people have pointed out, it can be done.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Another nickname pet peave: Using them by themselves in a hed, without a subhed, when they're a common nickname.

Example: Tigers claw their way past Wildcats

Maybe if you're at a weekly or small daily with only a few high schools, that works. But in an area with dozens (or hundreds) of high schools, you need to narrow down the species of wild animals a bit

Of course, if you've got some unique nicknames like Hemitites, Nimrods or Modeltowners, maybe it's not a problem :)

U.P. power!

12. Some Guy,

I worked at a paper that had a policy of using NO nicknames for high school teams. Never. We always used the actual school name.

It was early in my career, but it was a decision I firmly believe made me a better writer, and it was something I stuck with for a long time before gradually allwoing nicknames to crop back up in my stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted