1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: Diets don't work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Apr 10, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know where I heard it, but it sure is true:

"Don't live to eat; eat to live."

It sounds trite, but look closer at the meaning. If you're going to effectively diet, with long-term success, it's GOT to become all-compassing to you.

EVERY time you think about eating, you've got to weigh whether the food is beneficial or detrimental to what you're trying to accomplish. You need to weigh the portions. In that split-second in which you give yourself a break, you're three-quarters of the way back to the drawing board, because you've established an escape hatch for yourself.

And dieting sometimes means eating when you aren't used to eating, or when you don't particularly want to eat. A LOT of people miss that. You are to have THREE well-planned meals a day. Three, sit-down, well-planned meals. Not two and grab something on the run. That does not work.

And the exercise. If you are going to lose weight, that's half of it ... working more calories off than you're taking in. And exercise, especially as the years go on, becomes more and more uncomfortable.

So it comes down to, how strong are you, and how determined are you to lose weight? Myself? I'm not that determined at this point. And I should be. But I enjoy good food too much. It may spell the end to me some time, unfortunately. But that's the way it is.

There's several things I would stop doing if it were that easy. But it's not.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I guess they're right.
    31 years ago, in high school, I weighed 180 pounds. I was a mess. I went on a diet.
    I lost 50 pounds, dropping from a 38-inch waist to 31 inches.
    After gaining some muscle from lifting weights, I now weigh 145 pounds, with a 30-inch waist.
    Indeed, diets just do not work.

Draft saved Draft deleted