1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Because I learned this, here, I broke the bad news to my wife at dinner. It didn’t phase her at all and she reminded me that we have The Great Pumpkin and numerous other holiday specials on scratchy videos from when they were important to the kids.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I've found a few things formatted like that. It looks weird, but at least it is watchable as long as you don't try it on a tiny screen.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mohave everywhere but California. Mojave here. Just like it's Ro-day-ho in California and Rodeo everywhere else.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Considering the Mojave is in California -- and the town is spelled Mojave -- it's Mojave.

And it's not Rodeo Drive. It's Ro-day-ho.

It's not La Canada (the country).

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Been a copy editor in California and Arizona. The things I've wasted precious brain cells on ...

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

Yes, same. I've reached the I don't give a crap mode of many things. But not everything.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The irony of having to spend money to listen to Linus explain Christmas...

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Outside of blue states, it's properly That Fucking Country Flintridge.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Last time I drove through there I saw someone had opened a Spike’s Storage center along the freeway, complete with little bro leaning against a cactus on a billboard.
    The only redeeming thing in Needles.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  10. MileHigh

I drove through there in May. First time I had been through there in several years. Lots of Spike signage. We used to stop there all the time when I was a kid on our trips to and from Colorado. Nothing outside of Spike as you say is redeeming about Needles.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who needs Charlie Brown? Give me Paul Lynde. And Florence Henderson, Tim Conway, Roz "Pinky Tuscadero" Kelly, The Wicked Witch of the West AND Witchy Poo... AND KISS!!!!!?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

LOL. When I lived in Houston, back in the 80's, there was a very popular talk radio host named David Fowler. I was listening one day when he took this call:

Caller: "I'm just calling because I can't understand how Texas, as close to Mexico as it is and as many Hispanic people live here, can't pronounce words in Spanish properly. For instance, everyone here says RoDeeOh, when it is properly pronounced RoDayOh."

Fowler: "Well, I suppose that goes back to 1836, when Sam Houston kicked Santa Anna's ass at the Battle of San JuhSinTo, not San HaSeenTo."

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted