1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not so good to try to be great

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

See that? We have more in common than we ever knew.
    There is hope for Middle East peace!

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I mean, sure from the Pats' perspective, I'm sure they're pissed off that they won every game but the last, and because of that they'll see their season as a failure, but hell, that doesn't mean that they won't care to try and win them all next year.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Truth is, they are a big, fat failure.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man, the level of hatred and vitriol toward the Pats, Coach Hoodie and Brady, among others, is surprising to me. I mean, I hate the Steelers and Cowboys with a passion, but some of you take your dislike to an entirely new level.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Gotta say, Alley, I'm a Pats' fan and I loathe Belichick for the person he seems to be. I know others that do too. Can't say I really have too many problems with Brady. Whines a bit, but then again, which quarterback doesn't?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning for it, for so many people. I dislike how he communicates with the press, but BFD. Most people don't care all that much if the press is abused by a coach. Some people even like it.

I dislike the Steelers because I was born an Oilers fan, and there was no greater rival for us in the 1970s and early '80s. My hatred of them has mellowed in time, mainly because they weren't good for a long time and because the Oilers were no longer my team when they moved.

I hate the Cowboys because of the whole America's Team tag, a vote I certainly never made. And, because they were always better than the Oilers, well...you understand the rest.

I dislike Terry Bradshaw for the same reason I dislike Chris Berman...because he's a blowhard gasbag and his histrionics irritate me.

But my dislike of all of the above apparently doesn't even come close to the hatred some of you have for the Pats, or some of their constituent parts.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I guess loathe is a strong word Alley, as I don't know the man personally. I just don't like how he seems to treat people in and around football.

But other than that, I'm with you here. I really don't get the hatred either. I mean sure, I dislike the Yankees, but I don't hate them; in fact some of their players I greatly respect.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Exactly. The Steelers as a team blow oatmeal-lump sized chunks, IMO, but I greatly respect Hines Ward and I actually like Ben R. for what he accomplished in their drive to the Super Bowl.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

About the only thing I've ever heard Phat Phil Fulmer say was after his team went 13-0 and beat FSU to win the 1998 National Championship.

"You don't have to be the best team in the nation each week. You only have to be the best on the field."

The gints were the best on the field yesterday.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The tortured logic of this thread reeks of:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mike Babcock (Detroit Red Wings' coach) addresses this thread in Damien Cox's column today.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/300410

Trying to be the very best every single day, to Babcock, is the right way in any sport.

"Look, you can't convince me in our business that crawling along and crawling along and trying to get into eighth place and hoping your goalie gets hot is the way to do it," he said. "I'm not living my life that way."

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love my grandma. A lot. ...

I called her last night and she said, "Did you see the game?" Then she, a life-long Yankees fan who roots for the Jets and Bills because my family likes them, started laughing. She said, "After the game, I looked down at my hands and realized I'd been a little too rough with them. Brady was sacked five times, knocked down more than that and finally played a bad game. And I clapped after every one of them. I had to ice my hands. It was great. ... I just wanted him to lose."

Draft saved Draft deleted