1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's never too late to write a book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 13, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This could probably go over to the Writer's Workshop but I figured more people would see it here.

Alan Bradley, a 70 year old retired engineer from Kelowna, British Columbia, has sold a series of six novels (in thirteen countries) based on a submission to a UK mystery competition. Advance is reported to be in the six figures.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090213.wbradley0214/BNStory/Entertainment/home

With the manuscript of the second novel just delivered and the remaining four mapped out, Bradley has settled into a writing routine. He wakes at 4.30 a.m., makes tea, eats an orange and works his way toward his desk. “The hardest part of writing,” he confides, “is sitting down. Once I'm there, I'm good – I write about 1,000 words a day.

“After 35 years in the television business,” he says with a smile, “it's really not that much pressure.”

Congrats, Mr. Bradley.

Draft saved Draft deleted