1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's like a time machine to the 80s! Aussie Rules ESPN2!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, May 22, 2010.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Ah. Waltzing Matilda and Collingwood Magpies.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I always laughed when an announcer said some guy kicked three behinds.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if St. Kilda's is still the bottom-feeder

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

And collecting the wooden spoon!

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Until about 15 years ago, it was still the VFL: the Victoria Football League. It was renamed the AFL when the league expanded out of the province. I think four teams are still in the greater Melbourne area.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Actually, it's about 11 of the 16. But the league is expanding with another team in Queensland soon and another one for Sydney planned.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No. If you kick it between the two tall posts, it's a goal for 6 points. If you hit a tall post or kick it between a tall one and a small one, it's a behind for 1 point. If you hit the small post, no score. That's all there is because there are no "end zones." I've understood they've experimented in their version of the pre-season with a "9-point goal," getting the three extra points if you make it from 50 meters or more.

And I didn't know the game was on last Saturday until I happened to channel surf and saw the "7 Sport" logo at the end of the broadcast. Missed the whole thing and I guess it's not going to be repeated. I watched last year's Grand Final on ESPN3(60).

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can get ESPN3.com with Mediacom. I don't know what's going on in your town, but I had access to it when it was ESPN360 when I was in Iowa last year.

There is a pretty good torrent site with every match, as well as rugby union and league.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

DVR Alert!

Richmond vs. the Sydney Swans (must always give the full name, right?) 2 a.m. ET Sunday/11 p.m. PT on ESPN2

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

An Aussie who worked for me said you need to start the point with a circular motion. You don't just point.

Now when is the Denver Gold and Houston Gambler game replayed?

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I meant to say Qwest, not Mediacom. If the local damn utilities like Cedar Falls Utilities, Mediacom, and the regional outlets can do it, those pussies from Qwest can do the same.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They're states in Australia, not provinces.

Draft saved Draft deleted