1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's just a teen-age Graceland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 31, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the facelift is worth $250 extra-large... the whole thing was bought for $100k by Elvis...

Elvis Managers Plan Graceland Overhaul
    By WOODY BAIRD 07.31.07, 1:13 PM ET

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The thousands of Elvis Presley fans descending on Memphis for the 30th anniversary of his death Aug. 16 won't see much sign of it, but plans are moving along for big-time changes at Graceland.

Managers of Presley's famous home want to overhaul its tourist complex - with a new visitors center bigger than a football field, a convention hotel and high-tech museum displays that can give a new, digital life to the King himself.

All it will take to bring about those wonders is $250 million or so; the total reorganization of CKX (nasdaq: CKXE - news - people ) Inc., the New York-based company that controls all things Elvis; and a publicly supported facelift for Graceland's struggling neighborhood.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/31/ap3971815.html

2. That is an A-1 pun, slap.
    Well-played.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Baba oh really?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They're spending $250 million to renovate something visited by people who will be dead in 10-20 years? Elvis is dead, morans, and his original fans will be at some point, too.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Hey, I hope I won't be dead in 10-20 years and I loved visiting Graceland! :)

But, making it an amusement park of sorts isn't the right thing to do.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

screw slappy. The Who and Elvis don't mix. Beatles, maybe.

Seriously, if you ever get the chance, you should visit Graceland. It's marvelously tacky.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, I tried getting it to work with "Moon Over Parma" but it just didn't work...

8. When it comes to investments like this, wise men say only fools rush in.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Doc has a good point. I just can't see slews of folks who weren't even born until after Elvis died making it a destination. And save a few songs, his music gets virtually no airplay these days to expose new generations to him. Definitely can foresee a major drop off in attendance as his original fan base withers.

Maybe they should take the $250M and build a Kurt Cobain museum.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Elvis lives, you twatwaddle.

Should they bulldoze Mount Vernon, too?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

As what, the most overrated rock musician of all-time?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cranky much, Gramps?

Draft saved Draft deleted