1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Going To Have To Be A Helluva Speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Boom--Does this mean we don't have to discuss politics any more? Do you want to meet her? I can probably get her number for you. Let me know.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry Tony, you can argue until the 2012 presidential election about what Webb said versus what you felt was the underlying meaning. But I'm done wasting my time arguing this with you because in your own world, the logic you're applying seems right.

The fact is, your logic is flawed, no matter how you restate the argument. Webb was calling Eisenhower's end to the war a good idea and was hoping for the same in Iraq. You just WANT to hear what you heard. There really is no point in debating any longer because no matter how wrong you are, you're apparently not willing to admit it.

Thanks anyway, though.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

opps - I was just trying to break the spell and get the boys refocused. The Korean conflict debate was getting tired. I've watched enough MASH.

Can't blame a guy for watching a fishing show. Get home soon.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yes, it's me and "my side" that have disrespected the troops by asking them to sacrifice their lives for a whim, disrespected them further by giving them a flawed, illogical plan to accomplish that whim, disrespected them further by cutting their benefits during wartime, disrespected them further by demanding they continue to place their lives on the line long after it became obvious that this war was wrong from the start and growing more wrong each day and disrespecting them still further by refusing to even entertain the idea of a plan that would remove them from that danger in a timely fashion.

Oh, wait, that wasn't "my side."

I love how you can so casually question the patriotism and backbones of the American people and the US troops who have been critical of this war and of this country's president. I love how you can toss around dumbass phrases like "cut and run" when we're talking about saving the lives of American citizens who we've put in a horrible position and asked to continue to sacrifice themselves because the idiot who weaseled his way into the White House made mistake after mistake.

Maybe you should try looking up "patriotism" in the dictionary some time, because I'm pretty sure, judging from your posts, that you have absolutely no idea what it is.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Venerable Tony,

Whatever Webb says or doesn't say, whether or not he is properly quoted or slandered by the likes of you doesn't remotely affect who he is, or more pecisely, what he represents: the swing vote in the Senate. (Not that any resolution against "the surge urge" would pass by only a party lines vote.) I think you hate what Webb is--a man who followed his conscience into military public service, who went to war to defend his country, who saw his son off to serve in harm's way. He is the most qualified individual professionally, morally and poetically, to offer his deux sous. Moreover, I think you hate him because if we asked your team to send your best, he or she wouldn't be fit to carry Jim Webb's boots or his son's.

YHS, etc

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Just a little something from my favorite blog, White House briefing:

Jonathan Alter blogs for MSNBC: "Something unprecedented happened tonight, beyond the doorkeeper announcing, 'Madame Speaker.' For the first time ever, the response to the State of the Union overshadowed the president's big speech. Virginia Sen. James Webb, in office only three weeks, managed to convey a muscular liberalism-with personal touches-that left President Bush's ordinary address in the dust."

Here's the link for Whitehouse briefing:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100879.html
    and the link for the MSNBC blog (great read):
    http://hardblogger.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/01/23/40231.aspx

It says that a speech was written for Webb by the Democratic leadership, but he ripped it up and wrote his own. Cool.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, fotf, I kinda like Webb. But I'm still calling on him for saying something he thought sounded good but didn't think about it deeply enough.

8. Cite several of the most famous "examples" and I can almost guarantee I can debunk most of them.
    First of all, Webb was talking about Eisenhower's musing on how the war would end, and why it should end, and not what he was going to do with the army afterwards. This is just stupid and pointless. He's a professional writer, and a good one, and he knows exactly how to be clear on that point. And, anyway, I'm with him and this guy:
    http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002402.php

9. Boom_70

Even more than being a proffesional writer he is a warrior who understands that politics over common sense will get you killed.

Like most Webb has his flaws but the democrat party should be thankful that he has come along to join the battle.

10. There is no such thing as the Democrat party. Let alone the democrat party.
    Stop being willfully obtuse.

11. Boom_70

Fenian - just wanted to see if you were paying attention - not bad response time less than a minute .

12. You do it just to drive me nuts, you rascal, you.
    I don't know how 21 puts up with you.
    (Well, I can guess, but I don't want to now.)

Draft saved Draft deleted