1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Going To Have To Be A Helluva Speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 23, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As for the armistice question, that's a tough one. Don't exactly know how to answer that. But if that's your sole argument against it, then, again, your logic is incredibly flawed.

Oops, ran into a problem. Let's forget it and let people continue to die.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's because it is based on the same faulty premise (read:lie) you posted earlier.

Webb drew a historical parallel, he did not suggest or "call for" like action.

Thanks for playing, though.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

AA, you're right about the armistice question being a very tough one.

But, if I may, I'd like to show you what Democrats look like using your final statement:
    Oops, the going got tough. Let's give up and run away.

Do you suppose people won't continue to die when we tuck tail and run? Reality says they'll continue to die, but in greater numbers. And the chance that more die on our soil is even greater. Seriously, leaving Iraq and the entire region incredibly unstable is not an option.

4. old_tony

He cited it as a model, not me. I'm just pointing it out.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Show me where.

You can't, because he didn't.

I shouldn't have to explain the difference between an allusion and a direct metaphor.

6. old_tony

Webb, directly quoted, from the transcript:

"As I look at Iraq, I recall the words of former general and soon-to-be President Dwight Eisenhower during the dark days of the Korean War, which had fallen into a bloody stalemate. "When comes the end?" asked the General who had commanded our forces in Europe during World War II. And as soon as he became President, he brought the Korean War to an end.

"These presidents took the right kind of action, for the benefit of the American people and for the health of our relations around the world. Tonight we are calling on this president to take similar action, in both areas. If he does, we will join him. If he does not, we will be showing him the way."

Looks like I can and he did. Can't get much clearer than that.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Your arguments would carry a lot more credibility -- and if you don't care about credibility, then why come here, post your opinions and argue for them? -- if you would quit making those ridiculous leaps in logic like you did with Webb. You took what Webb said, saw in it some mysterious hidden meaning that no one else seems to see, and posted it as fact. Far from it.

And what's funny about your Iraq argument, beyond the "people dying over here" aspect, is it's almost a duplicate of the arguments made about Vietnam.

What, at this point, is victory in Iraq? A democracy? What if the Iraqis don't want that? Then our only other option is to pretty much kill every Muslim over there, which kinda defeats the purpose.

And, as a hint, the only SUREFIRE way to prevent terror attacks is to kill every single person who is a terrorist, could become a terrorist, and knows someone who is a terrorist. Otherwise, it's just an ongoing, bloody cycle that won't be resolved no matter how many troops we send.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

He brought the Korean War to an end.

How are you missing the point here?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're not this thick.

"...Brought the Korean war to an end."

"Call on this president to take similar action."

That's it. Nothing else is in the text. Your scenario makes for an interesting question to Webb in a follow-up press conference.

This is nowhere in the text:

You are wrong.

10. old_tony

Why is it a leap in logic when the direct quote is staring you in the face?

"Tonight we are calling on this president to take similar action ..."

Yes, victory in Iraq would be a democracy. Maybe all Iraqis don't want it, but there sure are a hell of a lot of them who do. And a lot of them are Muslims, including the current transitional government.

As an aside, if it was feasible to kill every terrorist, I'd be all for it. It isn't, but killing as many as we reasonably can is the next best thing.

11. old_tony

There were still 40,000 US troops there 50 years after the "end."

How are you missing the point here?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tony, that was your ogirinal quote.

Not even if you translate what Webb said into Pig Latin, could you come up with that.

You really, really, really, need to drop this line of idiocy reasoning

Draft saved Draft deleted