1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Enrico Palazzo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ludwig set up the mechanisms in each object. Such as the set of keys that got stepped on by the USC band trigged Jane wanting to kill Frank, only Frank talked her out of it or the woman who was about to kill herself before Ludwig talked her out of it.

Reggie didn't have anyone to talk him out of his trance.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True, but Ludwig had ample opportunity to plant the subliminal messages in the minds of Jane and his secretary so that they'd specifically target those people. And it's easy to see WHY they'd be picked to target those people -- Papshmir as a demonstration, and Drebin to remove an obstacle.
    Even if the assassin's targeting was random or coerced by someone, how and why would Reggie Jackson pick the Queen of England to kill from a crowd of 50,000 people? It's not like he was next to her, or Ludwig or someone else was there to influence him. They were both several hundred feet away.
    And I doubt Reggie was thinking much about the Queen right then, with all of that craziness going on on the field.
    If it was random, Reggie should have targeted a heckler in right field, one of the Mariners or an umpire -- someone in close proximity who he'd have a beef with at the moment.
    I'm telling you, something fishy happened to Reggie and I want to know what it was.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To this day, I still sing the end of the National Anthem as "The hoooome of the land, and the land of the freeeeeeeeeee......"

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

At that stage in his career, Reggie shouldn't have been in the field anyway. they must have planted something on the manger to brainwash him into keeping Reggie out of the DH slot.

5. Good analysis Batman. My two favorite parts of that scene:

When Frank Drebin is arguing with the other umpires and he notices Reggie Jackson pull out a gun. So Drebin does the same, which prompts the other umps to drop their argument: "OK, you're the boss."

Help me out on this one: After Jake and Frank make up out on the concourse and everyone in the stands follows suit, is it Curt Gowdy who tells Jim Palmer in tears, "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He was forcefed Reggie bars until he promised his tormentors he would do their bidding if they would just stop feeding him that cow flop.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yes! I watched the end of a Monday Night Game a couple of months ago and it suddenly hit me that they went up to the game crew for a discussion of the game, then down to the pre-game show crew for their thoughts on the game, and then to the ESPN studio with Berman and his cohorts to discuss - that's right - the same game the other two groups already dissected. All of this in the span of 30-45 minutes.

So an absurdly humorous little scene in a Zucker Bros movie turned out to be a Nostradamus moment.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Can you name the announcers?

BONUS: Who was the third base umpire?

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the umpire Joe West?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought the tiger mauling was part of a bloopers reel and not footage taken from that day's game.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yeah....it was West.

The announcers;

Dr. Joyce Brothers
    Dick Enberg
    Mel Allen
    Dick Vitale
    Curt Gowdy
    Jim Palmer
    Tim McCarver

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It was; and the next thing that gets said;

Mel Allen: "How about that?"

Enberg's eyes about bug out of his head.

Draft saved Draft deleted