1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Day 298 of the Pelosi Revolution and...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. If it weren't for her and the Democrats, everything would be peachy keen in that part of the world.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody's saying that.

3. And, not for nothing, but fuck the Turks if they say it wasn't genocide. Even Hitler said it was, and his opinion on the topic strikes me as the definitive one.
    Anyway...
    I am still waiting for what Pelosi should have done. Should she have opened an impeachment inquiry? I say yes. The country, for whatever reason, seems to agree generally but not in specific. ("If it can be found that Bush/Cheney did XYZ, would you support impeachment?" Usually gets a big Yes, but it's a mushy question.) The oversight committees -- especially Waxman's -- but they're getting stonewalled by an administration running out the clock.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Democratic Congress is doing what it should be doing, given it can't override a veto: Put forth bills that Bush will veto, and bring those vetoes home to roost during the 2008 campaign. Painting the Republicans as obstructionist on improving resources for children should work well for the soccer mom vote, for starters. The Iraq war vetoes, even of the mildest resolutions, will make it easy to sell the Republicans as the party with no intention of getting us out of the quagmire.

And a lot of Congressional Republicans will be cursing their obstinate party figurehead all the way to defeat. Clinton at least realized negotiating with Newt was best for the country, tho he had the option of just putting out sustainable vetoes, too.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Off the top of my head:

Lobbying reform
    Minimum-wage increase
    Head Start expansion
    Tighter cargo screening, per the 9/11 commission recommendations

S-CHIP and equal home/deployed rotation for troops were vetoed by Bush.

Just because you don't agree with the legislation doesn't mean nothing is getting done.

God, it must be a bad week for Those Who Have Restored Honor And Dignity To The White House if Nancy Pelosi's name is pulled out of the air for use as red meat.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, there's also pooh-poohing Global Warming

Maybe Hillary will cackle again. That's good for 48 hours of insults at least.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Both Democrats and Republicans are guilty of this. President Bush and his cronies are guilty of it. Anyone who supported the poorly planned and timed invasion of Iraq is guilty of this (even if it was justified, it should have waited until we had Bin Laden and it should have been planned far better; but I digress).

This is how politics works in this country, and probably everywhere else with "free elections," for that matter. When you actually do take a stand on something (which isn't often, since you don't want to give your opposition something to use against you), the stance isn't what you believe in your heart is the right thing to do or the most logical thing to do. It is what is going to get you elected or re-elected whenever the next election is. And if there are problems down the road resulting from those decisions, well...that's someone else's problem to deal with.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

F_B, I wish she had started impeachment proceedings as well, if anything, for all the bluster she made about it.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wish she had, too. A 2008 GOP majority would have been nice.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

They will have it back.
    It's too late to pretend you are fixing things.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I love how it's a sign of weakness that every single member of a party doesn't march lock-step with its party leadership.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I love how the GOP mocks her for "doing nothing" . . . when they would have blasted her for anything she was able to do.

An honest answer, please: Exactly what could she "accomplish" that would make a GOP member applaud?

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

So in other words . . . no matter what you do (or don't do), we will blast you for it.

Sounds like real logical thinking to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted