1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's an odd question, but I really am not sure what it means.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have worked at the same place for ten years. I work in radio and the ratings for my show have always been good. Just last week, my boss for the last four years left the station. He called me at home on his last day and said "I wanted to tell you that you have a lot of weight in this company and it's time you started throwing it around". I said that was very kind of him to say and he said he felt comfortable saying it now that I wouldn't be throwing that weight at him.

I don't know what he meant. I am reasonably happy with my job. Of course, like everyone else, I feel I am underpaid, but overall, I am fine. I don't know if he was trying to tell me I should be applying for his job (he and I had discussed whether or not it was time for me to move off the air, where I am very comfortable, to a management position, which scares me to death.)

I know this is not "journalism" per se, but there are some people on this board whom I respect and everyone's opinion is welcome.

Based on what I have been told recently, I could continue with my morning "Craptacular" indefinitely. But I am not getting any younger and I wonder if he was trying to tell me something.

I wish this was about drinking. I know how to do that.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask him.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I would have said something like: 'Thanks, I guess, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.'

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that, as he knows what ecverybody gets paid, he's trying to signal to you that you, are, indeed underpaid. And that he thinks you should try to do something to improve your lot.

5. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Dirk,

He's trying to say that you should become more of a force in the decision-making process. Something similar happened to me a few years ago. One of my bosses moved on and said, "Vic, you have some pull here. You could really influence the search for my replacement."

I stayed out of the way. Management was good enough to come to me with the final list of candidates and ask if I had any serious concerns. There weren't.

My best advice to you is save your bullets. There have been times over the years where I have stepped in and said, "You know what: this is wrong," or "you know what: this has to be done better." Because I don't do it too often, my bosses listen to me when I do it at all.

But I would call him back and tell him what he said has been bothering you. Ask him if there is anything specific that he was referring to. It will settle your mind.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd ask him. Especially if you don't trust him.

7. Dirk Legume

Good Advice. Thanks

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He meant you are getting fat. Hit the gym, son.

9. My guess?
    Your boss is on uncertain footing within the company and he's looking for allies, and he sees you as a good one.
    Be careful, young Skywalker. I see plans within plans here.

10. Dirk Legume

Thank you sensei...But he quit already. He has moved on to open his own business.

11. Damn Jedi mind-tricks.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He's trying to say that you're powerful enough to get away with sexual harassment around the workplace.

Tomorrow, go grab some asses, comment on some tits and ask women if they shave their box. You've got the power.

Draft saved Draft deleted