1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's all your fault Part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I know ... I know ... this comes from a looser fanboy board but I thought it was interesting to see exactly how much power the media holds in the fans' eyes.

You may unleash your Vulcan mindmelds starting now ...

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=49910

've always cringed when media personalities start excessively disecting the mentality of teams. I think it kind of disarms the organic process that players and coaches go through to overcome adversity, or to choke in a clutch game, or whatever. For an example, the media keeps waiting for Iron Mike to explode like a ticking time bomb and I can't help but think that if and when he does, it will be extremely watered down by all the speculation to date. Or maybe there's been so much speculation, that when Keenan feels he should explode, he wont. Another example would be that tonight the Flames should come out hard against the Canucks because we have a 3 game losing streak, we had a "bag" skate, and now good news that Dion will be in has us charged up. Does the speculation of these motivating factors neutralize them?

I know players and coaches say they don't read the papers and what not, but I think for the most part that's BS.

My question is, when Players or Coaches hear predictions about what their own mentalities should be, do you think there is a sub-concious resistance to those mentailities, solely or partly because they've been predicted before that process can really develop?

Draft saved Draft deleted