1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's about time, Feds to stop going after medicinal pot users

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Politics - nuke it.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm very happy about this but it is only a start - there are a whole lot of things like this that need to be legalized -- starting with smoking in a bar.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good stuff. :D

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, nuking BCS threads is the next step. ;)

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Zag's doing his best.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

To all those in favor of "medicinal" marijuana (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), whats the difference between that and buying Oxycotin or Vicodin on street corners?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, people with a valid prescription for medicinal marijuana aren't buying it on street corners. There are legal co-ops set up to sell it to approved patients, and they are sanctioned and taxed under state law. Just like patients with a valid prescription for Oxycontin or Vicodin are buying their medicine legally at the pharmacy.

And if they're abusing their prescriptions, or obtaining their drugs illegally, then they're prosecuted for breaking the law. Just like any other patient with any other prescription.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well ... almost any other patient. I know, I'm pushing the envelope.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe the crack/powder disparity is already working through Congress.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/News/Blogs/index.html/objID896442/blogID/

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Didn't think I needed the blue font, boys.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

people aren't buying oxycontin and vicoden on street corners for one.

Some of the most popular places to get painkillers are...................old age homes. The elderly have the pills and need the money.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm all for legalizing it. Do it tomorrow.

Still, the drug war employs an awful lot of people. Not only cops and prison guards (and construction workers to build jails), but this nation's surplus labor, who get "work" for decades at a stretch as prisoners. Have we reached the point where our economy is too dependent on it?

Draft saved Draft deleted