1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"It's a number"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 15, 2006.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: "Its's a number"

Chili al Queda and Carne Al Jareeza are on the menu at Appleby's, que non?

2. dikweed

dikweed New Member

"If this war wasn't going so well, we might have 5,000+ people dead, Zarqawi still alive, Saddam still in power, and no government set up."

At this point, one can only conclude that FantasyAlliance is just trying to stir up shit...God knows it'd be difficult to imagine a person being so actively fucking stupid

3. Re: "Its's a number"

You're pretty fucking stupid if you don't know that Zarqawi and his gang are part of Al Queda.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

When are people on this board going to learn when to stop taking the bait and feeding the trolls ?

5. Re: "Its's a number"

You're right, trolls like dikweed need to be ignored.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hey, I'm may be a GOP moron lying and deceiving the publiic, but at least I know how to run a campaign.

A dubious honor if I've ever heard one, and it's no surprise you'd think that more important Dyejob.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

First of all, it's Al-Qaeda. This is one time where the "u" does not follow the "q".

Now . . .

Do you realize that America has been engaged in more than 130 military conflicts in its history? Some serious. Others just sticking our noses in other people's business.

Never use the military?

Hell, we can't seem to go more than two years without itching for a fight from someone.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

While there are many things I disagree with regarding the Bush administration's War on Iraq, there is one thing I do agree with. We should have gone into Iraq.

Should we have jumped up and down and talked about WMDs? No. Should we have tried to connect Al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein? No. Should we have sent more troops initially so that we could have overwhelming force? Yes.

But if I were George W. Bush, I'd repeat over and over and over one thing. 300,000. 300,000. 300,000. That's the CONSERVATIVE estimate of how many people Saddam Hussein killed in his 23-year reign. Some estimate it's closer than 400,000 or maybe even 500,000. But the conservative estimate is 300,000.

If you're going to be the biggest kid on the block, who do you want to be? The bully, the person who ignores the bully and goes along with their own business or the guy who stands up to the bully. While there are many things I disagree with, I'm sure glad our president has enough inside of himself to not allow Saddam to continue to be the bully.

Now you can say he went to war because of his daddy. You can say he went to war for the oil (boy, that sure has worked out lately, huh?). You can say he went to war because of false information that led him to believe Iraq had WMDs. But part of the reason, maybe even a small part, was those 300,000 people. And I'm glad I live in a country where we're willing to take the risk and some of the casualties if it's going to help provide a greater good for others. Anywhere else, and we'd call it France.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So when does the 82nd Airborne leave for Sudan?

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

If I were president, it would have already been there. You're getting no argument from me there. Until the rest of the world decides to step in and try to pitch in, unfortunately we're the only true players in the ballgame. Not like we can send NATO in to solve a problem.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point.

But you see, the vast majority of those 300,000 (or whatever) happened in Saddam's first dozen years in power. In the years where he took control (and made sure he kept it) . . . in the years of the Iran-Iraq war . . . in the years around Gulf War I.

By 2003, he had been effectively neutered . . . and even his maniacal son Uday was impotent and confined to a wheelchair following an assassination attempt in the mid-90s.

The Iraq we invaded in 2003 just was not the same Iraq that was a major pain in the late 80s-early 90s. And neither was its leader.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Maybe somebody smarter than me can provide a link, but I remember reading a story in Sports Illustrated a few years ago about an Olympic athlete who didn't win. And because the athlete (or some other athlete didn't do well) Uday or Oday or whatever their names are, dragged this person down a road, threw them into a sewage pond and left them to rot. And I don't think that was too long ago, maybe early in the century. So you're right, he wasn't killing thousands at a time. He was simply dragging failed athletes down the road and leaving them to rot in a sewage pond. We should have sat this one out.

Draft saved Draft deleted