1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 2006, dammit!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 20, 2006.

1. This is why horse-race stories are just stupid. And I LIKE these numbers.
    http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/12/19/democrats_hold_edge_in_2008.html

Does anyone seriously believe these results have anything to do with what will happen in Novermber 2008?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Everyone wants everything quantified. That's why there's Nielsens and Arbitrons and Gene Shalut and polls every minute on the minute, from the 2008 presidency to the Bumfuck Falls News-Press jv girls volleyball Top 10. In six months -- fuck, in six weeks -- they'll probably look a lot different.

3. Looks like bad news for Romney, though.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Romney needed a poll to tell him he has no name recognition, he's too dumb to be president anyhow.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Where was Clinton at this time pre-1992.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

At the very least, those numbers might halt this ridiculous meme that the White House is McCain's and Giuliani's to fight over, and the Dems shouldn't even bother nominating anyone because none of them are electable.

However, I doubt it.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd have to guess holed up in a hotel room with Gennifer Flowers.

But that's without access to his datebook.

8. No, Gen was earlier, as I recall.
    We're gonna need that datebook.
    Guy -- my point exactly, by the way, except that Clinton had been the keynote speaker at the 1988 DNC, had been the president of the DLC, and already was considered so formidable that Lee Atwater already had flown to Arkansas to set up the first of the dirty-tricks operations.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He made it despite the '88 speech. I think he's still talking.

10. They polled Gore but not Edwards?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I recall (and I could be getting my years mixed up) it was kind of a rambling speech , especially in contrast to Mario Cuomo's quite eloquent address, but Clinton was nonetheless being touted as something an up-and-comer in the party. I don't think he had the kind of instant groundswell of support that Obama's been getting.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Clinton's keynote speech in 1988 was brutal. After he rambled on and on, when he said, "and in conclussion" the delegates gave him his loudest cheer.

Draft saved Draft deleted