1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's 17 majors, for crying out loud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Tiger Woods won 3 U.S. Amateurs.
    If it counts as a major for Bobby Jones, it should count as one for Tiger (and for Jack).
    So the number Tiger is shooting for should be 20, not 18.
    Just had to get that off the chest.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: It's 17 freaking majors

But in this day and age, no one counts Jack's amateur titles, and no one counts Tiger's. I notice the media carefully refer to Jack's record as 18 "professional" majors. However, the U.S. and British Amateurs were perceived in the 1920s and 1930s, they're not perceived the same way now.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The U.S. Amateur is not a major, sorry.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What Twoback's saying is, if they were counted as majors for Bobby Jones, they should be counted for Tiger as well. Of course, that won't happen.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And neither is The Players Championship, no matter what the PGA wants you to think.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Too bad for Tiger that the Buick Open doesn't count as a major.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Boo Weekley is trying to get major status for Hilton Head, I heard.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

But Bobby Jones never won a Masters or PGA because theMasters did not exist in the 20s and the PGA Championship was not considered a major (Plus, Jones was an amateur and didn't play the PGA)

Jones' Grand Slam was US Am, US Open, British Am, British Open.

By twoback's logic (?) I guess we'll take away Tiger's PGA and Masters wins to balance off Jones Brit Ams and US Ams.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's the PGA Tour lad. The PGA is based in West Palm Beach and is the governing body for club professionals.
    Please be accurate.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Well excuse me, sir righteous. No need to nitpick when you knew what I was talking about. Tim Finchem be damned, it's still not a major.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Twoback has a point.

The U.S. Amateur is not a chicken shit trophy.

I'm guessing it's a hell of list when you compile all the people who never won it.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not a chicken shit trophy, but the U.S. Am isn't what it was in the 1920s when being a "professional" golfer was almost dirty.

Draft saved Draft deleted