1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was only a matter of time -- 3 Duke Lacrosse players file lawsuits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope each of them gets $50 million... I hope they sue everybody and I hope they all win.

A guy I knew in college was falsely accused of date rape when in reality, he had a fling with the girl and then went back with his ex-girlfriend and to get him back, the girl filed rape charges.

It took about a year to get resolved and only got thrown out after the best friend of the girl finally admitted in a deposition that her friend told her she was going to do this to get the guy back or get some money to settle. She thought he was rich because he drove a nice car, but that was hardly the case at all.

Don't get me wrong, I know that's not the norm and I know there are probably 10,000 cases where the guy does do this and the girl does nothing about it, but that doesn't excuse the ones who file false accusations.

2. Must have hit the papers.
    Got a link?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Also doesn't mean they weren't a bunch of drunken punks. They didn't invite that girl over for a poetry reading.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/duke_lacrosse/story/727086.html

5. I meant Mizzou's tale, not the thread. My fault for being unclear.
    I have to assume these guys and their lawyers looked at suing the school and decided it wasn't worth it, since it seems such an obvious move otherwise.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And she didn't come over to have a term paper read either.

Like none of us have never been to a party before with strippers?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that justifies a DA trying to railroad them for his own personal gain even though they were innocent? It makes it ok for 88 academic snobs to scream for these players' heads before actually finding out the truth of what happened? Or for the university to punish them before getting all the facts? Not to mention the rush to judgement from many in the media and jackasses like Jesse Jackson.

The answer is no, in case you are still having trouble with it.

Do I think I would like these guys? Would I want my daughter dating one of them if she was old enough? Probably not and no way. But just because we may not like them doesn't mean that they deserved the treatment they received from a very large number of people who should have known better.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I really haven't followed all the details so I shouldn't jump in here, but...

Can you really blame the school that much?

It seems like the school was, or should have been, following the lead of the DA. If he had immediately declined to press charges or raised doubts I'm guessing the school would have been more lenient.

Are they at fault for beliving too much or too easily in the DA? Can you really blame them for that?

It's not like Nifong was telling Duke, "Hey, there are some serious questions here, let's take it slow." Seems like Nifong should get the big, big part of the blame.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

andyouare, I'm not saying Nifong isn't the one deserving of the most blame. And honestly, I have a bigger problem with those professors than the school. We've all heard how the lacrosse team had some trouble on campus. Sounds like a lot of people were just waiting for an excuse to nail them.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Actually, I've been alive for 35 years and I've never been to a party with strippers. I've been to five or six strip clubs, but never to a private party where a stripper was invited.

I suspect I'm not really missing anything, and no I'm not gay.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jumping right in in such circumstances is a time-honored tradition here. ;)

12. boots

boots New Member

These boys should be paid. Nifong is broke. Hell I might have more money in my pocket than he has right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted