1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 20 years ago today, Buster Douglas shocked the world ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Though few people actually saw it since it was in Tokyo and not televised in America.

Here's the link to SI's original story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1135984/index.htm

I believe it was the most stunning sports upset of my lifetime, even beating out USA Hockey over Russia ...

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was a huge boxing fan in those days and a buddy and I used to scour bars in town that might pick up the fights since you couldn't get HBO up here. Found a place that got it and we both sat there stunned as we watched it.

We couldn't hear it due to the racket in the place - we might have been the only guys watching it - but it was interesting to hear the commentary later when it dawned on Lampley and Merchant what they were seeing. Of course, over on the Don King Sports and Entertainment Network, noted shill Colonel Bob Sheridan didn't believe Douglas had won until they raised his hand (while Tyson was still fumbling for his mouthguard).

It's easy to forget now with the circus that has life has become since but Tyson was looked at as pretty much invincible in those days and if he was going to lose it wouldn't be to a guy like Buster Douglas. I was in Vegas for Douglas's fight against Holyfield when he ate himself out of the title.

Did anyone ever have the Buster Douglas version of the Mike Tyson's Punch Out game?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think they just Mike Tyson's Punch Out to plain ol' Punch Out. Mr Dream became Tyson.

I remember Douglas' win. Watched it with my dad and brother. We were stunned and could not believe that Mike Tyson was getting his ass kicked. Until then, Mike Tyson was on his way to being one of the - if not THE - greatest fighters ever.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

He had a Sega Genesis game, not NES.

[​IMG]

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was huge at the time; in fact it was a WTF moment of the early 90s that was right next to Magic announcing he had the AIDS a year later.

But in retrospect, was it really an upset? Tyson's wheels were flying off already and even if this was just a blip, he was never even close to being as dominant.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was still pretty young, as far as being a boxing fan, but I remember that night well.

7. In retrospect, yes, we could all see the wheels falling off.

At the time, though, he was the best fighter in the world and unbeatable. That was easily one of the greatest upsets in any sport of all-time.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still have that issue from The National after the fight.

9. mb

mb Active Member

We didn't get HBO, so I spent the night holding down the buttons on the cable box so I could hear the audio and watch the scrambled picture that unscrambled every few seconds. I can still picture everything like it was yesterday.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I remember it was on at the same time as the All-Star dunk/3-point contest, and for whatever reason we had HBO free in those days, so I watched the fight.

I was beyond stunned. Maybe as a 15-year-old I didn't have a great grasp on the nuances of the sweet sciences, but Tyson was Tyson and who was this ham-and-egger that got this shit kicked out of him like a year ago?

Once Douglas got up from the knockdown, I was thinking OH SHIT, THE MYSTIQUE HAS BEEN SHATTERED, HE'S GOING TO WIN THIS THING. Except I was a stupid kid who didn't use mystique very often in conversation, but you get the picture. It must have fucked Tyson up, though; a knockout punch that didn't knock him out? What now? You lose, that's what now?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF are you talking about? The wheels were falling off personally but he was still the champion and not too many people were saying anything other than he was acting like an idiot. It was a tremendous upset. Tyson didn't take the fight seriously and it cost him big time.
    George Foreman had the best quote, "All the kings horses and all the kings men can't put Mike Tyson together again."

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was the only Tyson fight I didn't watch live on TV from 1986 to the last Holyfield fight. For some reason, I remember this fight not being on HBO.

I still think something was up with this fight. If memory serves, Douglas was down for what should have been a 10 count early in the fight.

I agree this was bigger than the USA hockey win over the Soviets.

Draft saved Draft deleted