1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It really is over. CBS whacks Packer.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jul 14, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

In a color commentator, I'm looking for an opinion on how the game is unfolding, and for him to point out something technical that I can't pick up on. I felt Packer could deliver on both, though he grated my nerves a lot of times (which is not always a bad thing). Kellogg will do neither (which is not a good thing). The Final Four broadcast will be more bland than NASCAR on TNT.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Even though he said some annoying things, I never minded Packer.

Nantz, on the other hand ...

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He does know the subject matter, but Bilas' arrogance, like Packer's, literally bleeds and oozes through the TV screen.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

[​IMG]

Gonna have to disagree with you, baybee!

But seriously, on Packer's ouster ... who's gonna speak for the little guys now? Phil Martelli weeps.

5. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Yes. He must be next. Between his vanilla coverage and his god-awful forced puns -- and it's not just for the NCAA champion; he does it ALL the time (just try quoting him from a broadcast some time) -- he sucks the life out of any broadcast he does and infurates the hell out of any thinking viewers, including any NFL game he does.
    He's OK on the Masters, only because that's the only event with a flavor as white-bread as he is.
    Not sure Kellogg will be a big improvement, but not having Packer shouting about how he's right and having Nantz constantly suck up to him on the air will be fantastic.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Vitale.. Packer... so they run one, two....seriously, if I had a penny for every time some kid did something phenomenal and Packer ass kissed the coach... well, I'd have a lot of pennies! Vitale, too, of course.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Right church, wrong pew.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

All I can say is...

ONIONS!!!

CBS, if you have a heart, please move Verne and Raff up to be the #1 team. For the love of God, please do it.

If someone knows where to find the audio clip of Bilas tearing DLB a new ass, please direct me to it. Thank you!

Bilas may be even-handed, but he's in the same camp with Packer about the mid-majors. He was a guest on a local show here when Drake won the MVC and he promptly shredded them and felt that Southern Illinois, Creighton, and a medicore Missouri State should have been picked ahead of Woof Woof Woof.

Ah, Drake swept Creighton three times, spilt with Southern, and Missouri State had too many injuries and bad luck.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Said it before and I'll say it again: When he worked with Jim Thacker on the old Jefferson Pilot network doing ACC games, Billy Packer was the best analyst in the game. Period. (Thacker was outstanding, too, he had a great voice).

Then he went big-time, got too full of himself, and turned into an a**hole. Won't miss him in the least.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

He was also excellent in the NBC days with Enberg and McGuire.

Your second-paragraph analysis is spot on.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll miss Packer like that crack in the windshield that you finally get fixed. You'll notice his absence like that irritable co-worker who finally leaves giving you one less thing to bitch about with co-workers. It won't be the same.
    Really wonder why he didn't take the hint in recent years and bow out on his own.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Packer's time is long overdue. Wonder who he finally ticked off who could (or influence CBS to) do something about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted