1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It really is over. CBS whacks Packer.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sweet, it's about time.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Is Al McGuire's corpse under contract? If not, lets get him...

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Good riddance to bad rubbish... Packer is the biggest ass kisser of coaches in the business...and that might be the flaw that's easiest to handle. He's been horrible for years!

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

People in the ACC region won't be spared Packer, though. He'll no doubt do even more ACC network games now and now he'll do the entire ACC tournament.

With Kellogg on the broadcast, CBS certainly will have more spurtablity.

<a href="http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2008/07/14/daily1.html">Greg Anthony appears to be the choice to replace Kellogg in the studio.</a>

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I post this for multiple reasons.

A. Packer was as likable as a kick in the groin and had John McCain-in-anger-mode presence on most broadcasts.

B. The conference I cover can no longer use him as the embodiment of evil when they puff their chests out and seek respect.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

This is and will remain the greatest day in the 2008-09 college basketball season. That is all.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That narrows it down to any conference except the ACC and Big East.

8. Three cheers. No, make that 10 cheers.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Careful ... your anti-ACC slip is showing.

I'm not Billy Packer's biggest fan, either. And those who want to lump in Jay Bilas with a pro-ACC bias haven't read or heard him. He's quite even-handed and the way he verbally gutted Dan LeBatard on the latter's radio show is one of the best clips I've heard in a long time.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Bubbler covers the Sun Belt.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just called my dad. Here's the basic transcript.

Me: Hey, dad, Billy Packer's out at CBS.
    IJAD: Out?
    Me: Fired, or whatever. No more Packer.
    IJAD: Good. No more bashing Kentucky.
    Me: They're replacing him with Clark Kellogg.
    IJAD: Well, shit.

:D

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No way. I actually like Bilas. He calls it as he sees it, rarely glosses over things, even if it's Duke. Bilas is my favorite "expert" when it comes to college basketball, easily. Billy Packer was nowhere close, but at least he knew what he was talking about.

I fear Kellogg might be a downgrade. I mean, this is the guy who every year picks all four No. 1 seeds, no thought to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted