1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It must be an election year because ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oz, Jun 5, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My dad, who gives a hella lot of money to the GOP down in Texas, is totally on the Kinky bandwagon, and I've got the bumper stickers to prove it.

And hell, my cat would be a better governor than Perry.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My favorite is "He ain't Kinky, he's my governor"

If it comes down to him or the Aggie we currently have, I might just vote for Kinky.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except that the "knuckle-draggers", as you put it, are going to go out to vote anyway. Conservative Christians vote en masse when they feel compelled to, and there's almost always one hot-button issue (abortion, gay marriage) that drives them to the polls. And the U.S. News and World Reports has a poll where 2/3rds of those surveyed oppose gay marriage (though only 50 percent are for the proposed amendment). It's eay to think of this as a red state vs. blue state issue, but were that the case, there'd be no way in hell Oregon could vote it down 57-43 percent in an election year that saw them vote Kerry over Bush 943,000-866,000. Again, I have no personal beef with the gays getting married to the gays, but I DO have a problem with unfair representation (i.e enlightened pro-gay marriage supporters vs. retard evil Jesus freak gay-haters).

Oh, and I totally agree that divorce and gay marriage should be legal or illegal at the same rate. Fair's fair.

And also I would vote for a man named Kinky just on chutzpah alone.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If my dad, also an Aggie, is gonna vote for Kinky, you can do it too. :D

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Amusing to see Gov. Perry's name surface on a thread about gayness...

6. This is fathomlessly cynical.
    This will not pass. Everybody down there knows it wil not pass. The American military has been rendered little more than just another militia in Iraq. Afghanistan is far from pacified. Yet the US Senate will spend three days on what is essentially a GOP "values" informercial. Anybody who votes for these guys again is, I'm sorry, a fool.
    I want one person to ask the presiding buffoon if he believes the judiciary undermined democracy in Loving vs. Virginia. Better yet, ask Clarence Thomas first.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Flights are leaving hourly, you know ...

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Laws banning gay marriage are the new anti-miscegenation laws. Think about that when you go home, Justice Thomas.

As far as Bush's homophobia, I'll paraphrase Don "The Matador" Everest: "I wipe my ass with the Constitution. And the Massachusetts Supreme Court ruling if I've had chili."

9. Are you kidding? I want to be here when the reckoning comes down on these trivial, unAmerican SOB's.

10. Why don't the pro-gay marriage people just offer an amendment of their own? Maybe because they know there's no way in hell it'll ever get approved?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

because do we need to amend the friggin' constitution to decide this issue? and, lyman, there's no way either amendment will get approved (and if a ban does get approved, it'll get overturned almost immediately.)

You cannot legislate discrimination. You can't.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because right now, with equal protection under the law, they don't need to. They'll eventually get their way. This culture war you're fighting was lost years ago. But the homophobes and bigots will stupidly follow the GOP into this divide, because there's really no other reason why anyone should pay attention to either this issue or flag burning.

Draft saved Draft deleted