1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s not a Grumor: Gruden resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 11, 2021.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I couldn’t resist.

Tighthead likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The selective leaking is interesting - nothing related to Snyder. The well-timed leak to save De Smith's job (guessing the NFL liked having him heading the NFLPA), and then the rest of this stuff relating to Gruden.
    OK - maybe Gruden never imagined he'd be coaching again, but let's be clear - he would have been out on his ass at ESPN and Corona and wherever else he had endorsement deals had this come to light at any point. And to think he's passing these e-mails back and forth while his brother is the HC in DC?
    From a football standpoint I'm relieved - he seemed to want all the power, but was clueless how to use it with the Raiders (similar to what happened in Tampa). Throw in that most of the top people on the business side of the organization resigned this summer and the franchise is adrift.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How long did the NFL know gruden was a racist, homophobic, misogynistic asshole before they thought being a racist, homophobic, misogynistic asshole was a problem?

Jssst21 likes this.
  4. DanOregon

You almost wonder if the league thinks his major crime was calling goodell an M-Fer and the rest is just cover. Seriously, the League had a hard time finding a tape of a player knocking out his wife. But had no problem finding these Gruden gems (and apparently ONLY these Gruden gems) in that stack of e-mails.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  5. heyabbott

Not doing anything about it immediately is worse than one stupid pig making idiotic statements. But sheffty and ESPN won’t make a sound about it. And of Booger and Stephen A don’t make an issue of it, then they should not bash Gruden

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m just shocked — shocked! — that a man whose entire life has been nothing but football is a foul-mouthed misogynistic homophobe. You could knock me over with a feather. He has lived in a world where it is not required to get any smarter after you’re 17, or be less of a dick. I’m not sad he quit, but I have a hard time breaking out the 200-point type for it.

Driftwood, wicked, outofplace and 3 others like this.
  7. DanOregon

I do love the idea that someone in the NFL leaked more stuff to the NYT to force Davis (or Gruden) to make a move. I do hope some journos get a hold of more stuff. Perhaps Bruce Allen saved a bunch and figures he might as well let people know how "selective" the league is in leaking stuff - Allen's not working again in the league in any event.

8. DanOregon

Going to be interesting to see where Davis goes in the off-season. Clearly he'll need to make another "statement hire" either for the GM job or the HC. If he could pry David Shaw away from Stanford, I'd be happy and consider it an upgrade.

9. heyabbott

Jerry Jones is so pleased that he never learned to use email, or write

wicked and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nicely played.

11. heyabbott

these are women who were coerced by NFL owner and executives to pose topless.

no wonder goodell took a long time to disclose. He was to busy fapping to the pics.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Charles Robinson made a good point that Gruden's literal fortune is so tightly linked to the NFL product. It's going to be a rough scab to heal.

The entire Chucky brand was that of a jackass with no impulse control- which as it turned out he had even less of than imagined.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted