1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Issues/requests for new SJ.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Aug 19, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I never noticed that. Cool.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth:

Had a little panic attack when it seemed my email was showing on my profile and the Members list. Webby assures me only we can see our own. If he's lying, someone please let me know. (how do i put a winky smiley here if i'm using the Quick Reply?)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn, so THAT is your e-ma *** kidding.
    It is hidden. You and only you can view that.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You don't.

Actually, there's something you type to make it happen. Like how 8 ) without the space in the middle becomes 8). There's probably a list somewhere of keyboard strokes and what smiley they create, but I don't know because I think smilies are terminally horrible.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If I try replying with just a picture, I get an error saying the message box was left empty, even if I try adding a space-bar keystroke. That sort of crimps what little game I've got on here.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can we pleeeeease re-open the Charlie Brown thread?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The search function appears to fail at life.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can we please not.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

winky smiley: ; ) (and actually, if you preview a quick post, all the code buttons and smileys show up, just as if you were typing a regular post.)

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I absolutely love the new site. I didn't realize that you could pick up your thread where you left it by clicking the new icon. That rocks. I'm glad that was mentioned.

There are only two things that regularly come to mind. The first is probably just user error on my part. But I'll read a thread and then want to click on "new replies to your posts" to read other threads. To do it, I always scroll all the way up the page. It'd be nice if that same link was added at the bottom so that I could click it when I finish one thread and then select another without scrolling.

I have noticed that thread pages don't seem as long. That can be a nice thing. It's always overwhelming to see 20 posts on one page.

The only other thing that bothers me is the constant use of photos and animated avatars and such. I don't mind a little personalization, but it gets out of hand in some instances. Also, when people reply to posts that include photos, the photo is repeated, which can make for quite a mess of photos and, perhaps, a waste of hard drive space?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just tried to post in a thread and was given this message:

An Error Has Occurred!
    The last posting from your IP was less than 10 seconds ago. Please try again later.

What does that mean?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Some message boards limit how quickly you can post between posts. Usually it's like 30 seconds delay.

Draft saved Draft deleted