1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel and Leba-nin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 12, 2006.

1. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

There is no "war" in Iraq. The only reason our army is still there is for potential developments just like this.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Really? Hmm ... reason number #45 of why we're there. Think we'll ever settle on one reason and go with it?

3. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

For lack of better terminology, Iraq's just a staging ground for the inevitable invasion of Iran. But that's not exactly something you can tell the voting public -- or the world at large.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, 'cause THAT makes me feel better safer optimistic none of the above. Fuck. ::)

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Exactly. If Iraq is supposed to be a stepping stone, I'm freaking moving to Canada.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I believe the US will only get involved with troops possibly if Iran jumps into the fray. I don't think it will go that far, and really hope not.

Israel has shown its force in the region, and the power and shiftness it can attack with. Now might be a decent time for diplomacy - and if the other side doesn't stop, Israel should unleash their full power.

A plan needs to be accepted by all parties that will recognize a dual-state system, with accountability for each country for its citizens (unlike Lebanon is doing right now with Hezbollah). that way, with everyone having sovereignty (sp?), attacks will be acts of war between nations, and no one can play the victim PR game like they do now.

Oh, and if there is a call to arms, being a jew who has spent time in Israel in the past and who has freinds there, I would seriously consider it. I hope, if it comes to that point, I would have the courage to go and defend my people's right to live.

7. There are many more nations besides those two, but I didn't mention them because I didn't want to escalate the rhetoric started by buckweaver.

Anyway ... Israel does a pretty good job of defending itself. It's had a lot of practice, unfortunately. I agree with breakyoself regarding A) U.S. involvement and B) What needs to be done next.

I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time, however, before Bush is blamed for this, too. In fact, it's already happened, thanks to this moron:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldbriefing/story/0,,1820125,00.html

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Again, I ask you Lyman ... what needs to be done by the U.S.? Are YOU going to volunteer?

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

alley - right now, all the US needs to do is exactly what they are - supporting Israel vocally and most likely giving them money and arms in the background (which isn't a secret). If it gets worse over there, and more player become involved, than that decision may need to change. But not at the moment.

as for Bush, this conflict has been around long before him, and will probably last until long after him. I'm not a huge fan of his, but not sure how people can say this is his fault.

I like that with the new problems that has arisen, he is showing a lot more patience and willingness to work diplomatically with the UN and other key players.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not blaming Bush on this one, and if others are, they should stop.

But I've served my time and gotten disabled from it. Someone else is going to have to step up to the plate and serve, cause the men and women in uniform right now are stretched too thin to do it.

This is the problem and danger with going to war and not thinking it through clearly. Can you imagine if something else like this had happened while we were fighting in Vietnam?

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

My thanks to you for serving, and I agree with you on all points. Hopefully it won't come to a point where more are needed - anywhere.

12. I think I just answered that question, alley. With all due respect to what I'm certain was your distinguished service to our country, I'm sick and tired of the "are you going to volunteer" bullshit whenever something like this comes up. I guess nobody should be allowed to comment on major-league baseball unless they played it?

Nowhere did I mention the need for a U.S. military response -- at least not now.

Draft saved Draft deleted