1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel and Leba-nin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 12, 2006.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Baghdad, Iraq, 2003.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I pronounce it Syria's Bitch

3. So folks here are in for a general war in the Middle East?
    How are things on the plains of Megiddo?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wow, I've seen hanging curves before, but that post might have been the biggest cock shot ever.

Touch 'em all, jmacg. just don't watch it for too long.

5. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

And how bout before that? Was that unprecedented?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dude, you're digging a hole here.

Egypt, 1967.

7. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

Digging a hole? By asking questions I don't know the answer to? Sorry, from now on I'll refrain from seeking answers to things I don't know about.

8. OK,OK.
    I think we can alll assume that, if one country goes after another, the biggest airport will be a prime objective. Hell, it was the ONLY objective when the US bravely overthrew the Cuban construction battalions in Grenada during Operation Don't Look At The Dead Marines In Lebanon.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, I apologize. I inferred snideness where none was present.

The short answer is -- for a variety of reasons -- Israel plays by different rules on this sort of thing, to varying degrees of support from the international community.

They blew up Egypt's planes on the ground in '67, and while many Arab countries demand to this day that Israel give back the land it won in that war, it's not happening.

The Israelis face an absolutely unique situtation in world history. And if they make up their minds to attack someone, their isn't a lot that's going to be done about it.

Of course, anything they do only serves to arm the other side in what has really become a PR campaign, so they're kind of fucked either way.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So if some Texas Irregluar Militia crosses into Mexico and kills some Mexican police, takes hostages and shells a Mexican village, Mexico has no recourse against the United States?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh, and HeadFirst, if you're up for an afternoon of light reading, Google Ariel Sharon with Lebanon.

There's a bit of a history.

12. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

Right, but when they blew up Egypt's planes, that was a strike against a military base, wasn't it? They struck Egypt's air force, not the international airport where innocent civilians fly into and out of. At least, that's my understanding. And I'm still struggling to find the link between Hezbollah and Lebanon's government. Is it strong? CNN.com says that Hezbollah holds some government posts within Lebanon's cabinet. Is it like a Hamas running Palestine kind of deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted