1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel and Leba-nin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I work in Lebanon, but it's not pronounced as it reads, even though media heads are pronouncing it as such. Natives here know when outsiders have moved to town because they pronounce it Leba-NON.

It's Leba-nin, like Anais Nin. It should roll of the tongue "Lebanin." Not like you're trying to say Leba-NON like non-paraeils, which are the best candy ever invented, but I digress.

So, what's going to happen in the Middle East lands of insanity?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Aren't there more serious problems there than those of pronunciation?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Of course there is.

At the same time, it's always the same ol' shit over there. They've hated each other for 5,000 years. They'll hate each other for the next 5,000 years.

Nevertheless ... "nin" not "non."

4. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

Leba-nin got lit up tonight, huh? Does anyone else have serious problems with the Israeli government targeting an international airport? I empathize with the position they're in, but wasn't there a better solution than destroying two runways at a public facility?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nope. The government is agressively committing acts of war against Israel. The Jewish State moves out of Gaza, and is rewarded with rocket launches over the walls and the kidnapping of soldiers. Then the same thing happens on the northern border. If I were Israel, there'd be a lot of shit blown up.

6. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

When was the last time one sovereign nation conducted a military operation at an international airport in another sovereign nation without a formal declaration of war? Has it ever happened? And how closely related are Hezbollah and the Lebanese government? Is there good proof linking one to the other? These are all innocent questions -- I don't know the answer to any of them.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you are to believe that the Lebanese government is a puppet government for the Syrians and Mr. Assad, then the link with Hamas would be very tight.

And Israel has taken its liberties attacking such infrastructure many times in the past. See the bombing of the Iraq nuclear reactor.

8. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

A nuclear reactor and an international airport are two VERY, VERY different things.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If I'm supposed to feel sorry, well, I don't.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My momma's from Lebanon ... Tennessee.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not non... nin!

[​IMG]

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ARTHUR: Who are you?
    HEAD KNIGHT: We are the Knights Who Say... 'Ni'!
    RANDOM: Ni!
    ARTHUR: No! Not the Knights Who Say 'Ni'!
    HEAD KNIGHT: The same!
    BEDEVERE: Who are they?
    HEAD KNIGHT: We are the keepers of the sacred words: 'Ni', 'Peng', and 'Neee-wom'!
    RANDOM: Neee-wom!
    ARTHUR: Those who hear them seldom live to tell the tale!
    HEAD KNIGHT: The Knights Who Say 'Ni' demand a sacrifice!
    ARTHUR: Knights of Ni, we are but simple travellers who seek the enchanter who lives beyond these woods.
    HEAD KNIGHT: Ni!
    KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!...
    ARTHUR: Ow! Ow! Ow! Agh!
    HEAD KNIGHT: We shall say 'ni' again to you if you do not appease us.
    ARTHUR: Well, what is it you want?
    HEAD KNIGHT: We want... a shrubbery!

Draft saved Draft deleted