1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel accepts cease-fire deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Breakyoself, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

According to an AP story that just moved. This is great news. It's a deal that looks like both sides got enough of what they wanted. I for one and certainly glad to see this happen, as I assume most would. Now we'll see where this goes.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You beat me to it.

Olmert is going to take it to his cabinet for a vote on Sunday. Hostilities will continue until then.

Does anybody seriously believe Hizbollah will abide by this ceasefire?

3. Armchair_QB

Watching CNN right now and thinking Lawrence Eagleberger is the Beano Cook of international diplomacy commentators. He's one rough-looking dude.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

If they don't, expect a big "I told you so" from israel and the US backing and a huge war to ensue. Hopefully Hezbollah, Syria and to an even bigger extent, iran, realize this. But i have many doubts.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

Not good news.

6. Armchair_QB

Technically Israel hasn't accepted it yet either. Olmert's Cabinet could always reject it. Personally, I don't understand why Israel is giving in. The UN passed a resolution two years ago demanding Hizbollah disarm and they couldn't follow through on that. Why should we think they'll do something about this?

The shooting will stop for awhile, maybe even in a few years, but as long as Iran and Syria remain under control of the current regimes this isn't over.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Great news. But I don't feel good about Iran and Syria.

8. Armchair_QB

Something else I think is absolute madness is the fact that the rabid dog who leads Hizbollah is actually getting a say in this ceasefire. I don't remember if I heard it on the BBC, MSNBC, CNN or Fox earlier today but supposedly Lebanon is consulting with this animal with regards to this ceasefire.

Last time I checked Hizbollah wasn't a member of the UN.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

Olmert's toast. He won't survive the week in his current position. Also, what about the return of the kidnapped soldiers?

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Ultimately, nothing will change, unless Hezbollah, the Palestinians, et. al decide they no longer want to annihilate all Jews.

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

But Hezbollah is a part of the Lebonese govt, and if Lebonon wants to gain some control over its country and decreae hezbollah's power, it probably should consult them a little as to not start a civil war. Not saying I like it, but that is what it is.

as for Israel, I think it shows their humanitarian side to a degree because they could have done much worse, and now they are looking like a mature and responsible army by letting diplomacy go.

Do I think this will work? No, i don't think it will for the long term. But if it happens again, this also gives Israel more ammunition to go after the terrorists. They can say "we tried to your way, and we told you this would happen. Now it's our way." and hopefully,they'll have some more support around the world, which they should have had this time.

i believe the return of the soldiers goes along with the withdrawl of troops.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Israel, as a sovereign state, is more mature and responsible. But terrorists don't give a shit about sovereignty, maturity or responsibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted