1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't this what got Jimmy the Greek fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And, of course, in addition to the lack of scientific evidence, the other reason you can't have that conversation is, if you try, reasonable people end up getting scared off by loons who want to steer it toward areas like ...oohh, I don't know, for example, the Jewish banking/media conspiracy... not that I'm pointing any specific fingers or anything.

The sheer numerical improbabilities are interesting, however. In addition to the astonishing numbers islands like Jamaica and Trinidad themselves produce, it's also damn striking how many of other nation's best sprinters are immigrants from those exact same islands, for example how many of Canada and Great Britain's greatest ever sprinters (Ben Johnson, Donovan Bailey, Linford Christie, etc.) were born in Jamaica. An intelligent discussion of the reasons why might have to wait for a later date, however.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought this was more fitting.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Two lines are being intertwined to prove someone's point.
    1. I think it's fair to say that people of West African descent are gifted sprinters.
    2. There is a good chance anyone of West African descent living in the Western Hemisphere for any length of time had ancestors who did not come here of their own free will.

Point one is still true whether point two applies or not.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not nearly as much, though. West African nations have never produced sprinters like Carribbean nations, in fact never even remotely close. I realize there are plenty of "nurture" type reasons that might also explain that, but to suggest that the same applies to all "people of West African descent" is not supported by the facts. There's a definite distinction on one side of the pond vs. the other.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's a fair point as well.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

There may be some obscure physiological reason for all of this, but in the case of Jamaica and Trinidad specifically, Olympic-level sprinting has become the prestige sport in those nations, and as a result, they put a great deal of time, money and effort into nurturing their sprint talent. Now, as to why the top sprinters in the UK and Canada are also of Caribbean origin and descent, I have no clue.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I think that's very charitable, lets see if the Jamaicans records stand the test of time. I hope they are all clean, but seriously doubt it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think a lot has to do with how poor and shitty the lives are for a group of people (white, black, yellow, red, green, blue, etc...) when you look at the athletes they are putting out into the sports world.

If you see sports as your only way out, you are going to try a hell of a lot harder than the kid who has parents to pay for college and other things in life.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It seems not to have been noted that Jamaica was for a long time a top slave trading join hub the world.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Are you somehow under the impression that those in West African nations don't have "poor and shitty" poverty marred lives? Sorry, but in terms of how the average person lives, those in Jamaica and Trinidad are sitting pretty compared to a country like Nigeria on the poverty induced misery index, and they have a miniscule fraction of the population base to draw from (Jamaica--2.8 million, Trinidad--1.2 million, Nigeria--170.1 million), yet have consistently produced immeasurably more world class sprint talent.

There are clear flaws in the shitty lives theory (starting with the basic assumption that they even have shitty lives).

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Translator?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Кажется, чтобы не было отмечено, что Ямайка долгое время был рабом топ, с помощью соединения в мире.

Draft saved Draft deleted