1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isles give DiPietro 15 year/67.5 million deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

You have got to be kidding me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2584306

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

they've been working on that for a while.........they want him to be the face of the franchise.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well Isles fans can certainly see a lot of his face as he turns and looks into the goal cam after each puck whizzes by him...

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nick Kypreos over at Sportsnet originally broke this story.

(This is also over at the hockey thread).

Wang is officially a lunatic.

DiPietro may be the next Roy or Brodeur but I wouldn't bet 67 big ones that it'll happen.

Remember Mad Mike drafted him #1 overall because of his puck handling abilities......

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought Mad Mike just drafted him No. 1 because he was a Boston kid.

Calm down folks, let's look at the breakdown: $4.5 million per. He's not getting paid top scale, by far. What's the cap nowadays, $39 million? I wouldn't pay DiPietro 12-15 percent of my cap, but it's not like the franchise will be handicapped.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Hey, that new GM is sharp. He knows you take care of your goalie first.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dumb question from a non-salary-cap follower: Are NHL contracts guaranteed? I thought they weren't, for the most part.

If not guaranteed, this sounds like a wonderful NFL-style deal to balloon the final number and make the player think he's gonna make a killing. I'd be surprised if DiPietro makes it to the eighth year.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They're guaranteed.
    Now, there may be a buy-out clause in DiPietro's contract but the contract is the contract.

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

And regardless of the actual amount being paid in a given season the cap number is averaged.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He was about to sign a similar contract last year during the lockout, but it was turned down by the league because of the uncertainty of the CBA, and what the cap would be.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I thought this was the "tired of LOL" thread.

ROTFLMAO at the Isles!!!!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Way overrated, way overpaid.

Draft saved Draft deleted