1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam, Terror and The Second Nuclear Age

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Omonous story in Sunday Times Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/magazine/29islam.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all

Basic gist is that many factions of islam justify use of nuclear bomb through the koran.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Show me where the Quran says that nuclear bombs should be used?

EDIT: And I'm sure you "accidentally skipped" this paragraph as well:
    Today the nuclear game in the region has changed. When the Arab League’s secretary general, Amr Moussa, called for “a Middle East free of nuclear weapons” this past May, it wasn’t Israel that prompted his remarks. He was worried about Iran, whose self-declared ambition to become a nuclear power has been steadily approaching realization.

3. Boom_70

Why don't you read the story and learn for yourself. Better yet read the story and tell us non muslims where it is wrong.

BTW - I thought is was a very fair and balanced piece.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The fact is that liberals are more of a threat to this country than any Muslim terrorist ever will be. [/Scribe4264]

5. Chuck~Taylor

The article has mentioned these qoutes from the Quran:

“Had they been separated clearly, then We would have chastised the unbelievers among them with a painful chastisement.”

"Do not kill yourselves; for surely God has been merciful to you.”

“the crops and the cattle must not and cannot be destroyed completely"

Nothing about nuclear weapons.

6. Boom_70

Chuck you should really read the whole story. As usual you are way to defensive. Note that I said up front that I thought article was very balanced.

7. Chuck~Taylor

I never said that the article wasn't balanced. I was referring to your comment about how the Quran says that it justifies that nuclear bombs should be used.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Al Jezeera journalist kidnapped in Omaha last week by right wing Christian fundementalists was beheaded in a Denny's parking lot in Blair Nebraska. Before Revrand Bud Shuster severed the journalists' head he was forced to say, "I am Muslim, My Mother was Muslim, My father was Muslim"
    Muslim countries have responded to the video tape broadcast of the beheading on CNN, Fox and MSNBC by banning all Western media from their countries and by expelling all Western Media currently in any muslim country.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Nope.

I'm not sure if

a) you didn't actually read the piece

b) you read it, but didn't understand it

c) didn't know how to write an accurate 16-word synopsis of it, or

d) you simply chose to misrepresent the piece as part of your ongoing campaign to make sure that everyone, everywhere fears and mistrusts the rest of the world as much as you do.

The piece is actually an essay about the changing nature of the uses of violence in Islam - especially as regards the looming threat of state-sponsored nuclear weapons, and stateless nuclear terror - when triangulated between the major players in the region, the historical imperatives of the Qu'ran, the modern interpretation of those imperatives, and the relatively recent adaptations in strategic, tactical and clerical thinking to rationalize "suicide" bombing.

As scary as the piece is, it doesn't need to be falsely presented.

And I'll remind Boom that if he needs a newly-minted nuclear boogeyman to lose sleep over, he need look no farther than North Korea.

And Canada. With a warhead for every American city in the NHL.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Your post was a bit wordy, so I broke it down to to the basic message for you.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Too Bad it was over head and you had to reduce it to the few words you could look up in less than 20 minutes.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, borderline Shakespearean. You're such a wizard of a wordsmith, abbott, how can ever hope to capture the full meaning of your deep, thoughtful posts?

Draft saved Draft deleted