1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isiah Washington, Grey's Anatomy...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Try going to http://swnevecampbell.tripod.com and you'll immediately see what he was going for. (Moderately NSFW -- there's a hand covering nipplage)

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Katherine Heigl was just about the only reason to watch the ill-fated show Roswell several years ago.

She now totally makes Grey's Anatomy worth watching.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

To add to this point: I would ask why the groups who claim they are objects of hate would live by the same standard and demand not only that he be publicly reprimanded, but lose a career. They tend to do that, and it might win some people to them if they weren't so damn militant about their reaction. Blessed are the meek, in other words. Take the high road. Point to the behavior, not the person, as the issue.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

One of the funniest things I've read about this whole thing is that Washington's a 'method' actor who takes the concept to extremes.

For example, he drives to work in scrubs. ;D He once yelled at a fellow cast member for eating a sandwich on set-- in his "sterile" operating room.

I used to think he was a good actor. Now I look at him as a kook-- and sort of a "Dr. Drake Ramoray."

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

fwiw

i'm a big "grey's" fan. i'm well aware that actors are NOT the people they portray. which is why it's called "acting."

isaiah washington will survive this. he'll be back and say all the right things. it just doesn't mean his scenes with "george" will be the same anytime soon.

big effin' deal? it's tv. the women on the show are gorgeous. the men are good looking.

and if anything, the ratings will only climb, thanks to these "oprah" moments.

carry on.

6. You have to wonder, though, what would have happened had someone used a slur against Washington? ... I doubt the offender would still have their job long enough to have this debate ...

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

MSNBC today:

T.R. Knight, the actor was the subject of a widely-publicized homophobic slur by a cast mate and he "is so upset about the situation and so disgusted by how it was all handled," that he's planning to leave the show, says a source.

"He was told not to say anything about the whole incident," says the insider, referring to an on-set dust up in October when fellow cast member Isaiah Washington referred to Knight, who plays Dr. George O'Malley, with a derogatory word used to describe gay men.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, i don't wonder. we all know what would've happened. no one ever said there isn't a double-standard.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm not usually one to judge, but is this really THIS big a deal? I obviously don't know everything that went on here, but it's a fricken word. If I had a good job and some jackass I worked with called me some bad name, I wouldn't get so indignant I would quit.

It was obviously wrong to say, and I'm not defending Washington by any means, just wondering about Knight's reaction. Are we really so sensitive that we're going to let someone hurt us so badly with WORDS?

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I hope there's more to this story than just the word. Maybe he feels his time at the show has just come to an end. It's been three years. When did people start leaving ER?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

if knight indeed walks, i would venture to say it won't be over the word, it would be over the atmosphere on the set that washington has created. which no one is really privvy to -- heck, we don't even know if knight is really quitting. but if he does, i'd be supremely distressed if that word did it.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm wondering where the great Oprah Winfrey is on this whole thing. Can't remember if it was early last year or late the year before when she did a Greys party and had Washington on set and continuosly praised him for being such a great actor and person.

Come on Oprah let's bring him back and talk about his inner demons and how he totally played your ass for more publicity.

Draft saved Draft deleted