1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isiah Thomas gets to restart his coaching career in college

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Honesty Kills

Honesty Kills New Member

C/S

Funny how certain posters avoid this thread like the plague once a few unbiased members come through and agree with logic - and look away from the same, tired espn-ified talking points.

He's gonna push his life story, and his accomplishments as a player to these families and it is going to resonate with them. AND they're not paying him????? I don't understand how anybody could argue against this move.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Or equal to Arkansas-Little Rock hiring Sidney Moncrief. He coached UALR to a 4-24 record in his only year there. The team played at Denver -- in the middle of the conference season -- and Moncrief and family stayed to ski while the rest of the team returned to the Rock.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

was just on ESPN bout 5 minutes ago.

4. Did they follow that up with, "What kind of douchebag father tries to get his daughter to take the fall for his failed suicide attempt?"

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

And was on again just now, Elliotte.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just saw it. Hysterical. Worth the wait.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Broadway,

Just watched that bit of the interview. Thomas was denying the suicide attempt the first time it was raised. He even tried doing it with a little bit of humour and the famous smile. The answer you quoted was the follow-up. I've seen that look on his face before. He was annoyed, and the "I like living response" followed by the "I don't know what else to tell you" is his way of saying, "Enough. I answered the question, and that's it."

Both of those responses are typical of him. He tried to deflect controversy with a bit of humour, but when that fails, he gets tight. Did you notice his pause before the answer he quoted? He's trying not to get angry.

Not saying his approach is a good one. I'm just saying I've seen this before. I'd be curious to see, though, if the police are asked about Isiah's opening explanation.

8. Now we know why the school agreed to hire him. They don't know who the fuck he is.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Indeed. They thought they were going to pull a reverse Paulus by hiring this guy:

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/thompson_isaiah00.html

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When Isaih gets s-canned, we can look at this thread again.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is buried way back on the first page or so of the Carmelo thread, but fits better here:

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He gone:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18350817/fiu-removes-hall-of-famer-thomas-as-its-basketball-coach

Draft saved Draft deleted