1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaiah to coach Knicks. Adios Larry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 22, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

This has been a great thread to read.

I watched Thomas coach a talented Pacers squad out of the playoffs.

So I'll guess 18 wins.

2. JackS

JackS Guest

One of my friends says it best:

Stephon Marbury is one of the few players with the ability to make everyone around him worse.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was brutal to watch him take a Pacers team fresh off a run to the finals and make them mediocre. I'll go for 15 wins, OTR.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yup. I remember going into that season with such a feeling of hope.

Ol' Isaiah pretty much had that extinguished by January.

He's widely disliked in Indiana now. And considering he led IU to a national title, that's a pretty tough swing to have made on the ol' popularity scale.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Well I Never!!! Never in my life have I been SO HUMILIATED!! Like, oh my god!! I think I might faint!! I feel a bladder problem coming on!!! Or maybe I'll RETIRE, that'll show you!!!"

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/429556p-362133c.html

[​IMG]

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Unless he gets hit by a bus, Larry Brown will be coaching an NBA team when the 2007-2008 season tips off...if not sooner.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Charlotte? The only reason I wouldn't be so sure is that any money he earns counts against what Dolan owes him, and this got ugly enough that he might want to sit still as a reminder to them that they paid $50 million for 23 wins.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

James L. Dolan, the chairman of Madison Square Garden, said in an interview with HBO Sports that he was surprised by the amount of public criticism he faced in May after hiring Isiah Thomas as president of the W.N.B.A.’s Liberty.

“Worse than I imagined,” Dolan said in a segment for “Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel,” which is scheduled to air Tuesday night.

Thomas’s return to the Garden was clouded by controversy stemming from his tenure as coach and president of the Knicks. In 2007, a federal jury ruled that Thomas had engaged in sexual discrimination against Anucha Browne, a former team executive who won an $11.5 million judgment against Madison Square Garden after she accused Thomas of harassment. Thomas left the Knicks in 2008.

Dolan, who owns the Knicks and the Liberty, has maintained a close relationship with Thomas, who was also interviewed by HBO. Eight years after the court ruling, both men expressed defiance.

When Gumbel asked Thomas whether he had harassed Browne, Thomas said, “Never happened.”

Dolan suggested that Browne had fabricated much of her testimony.

“I think a bunch of it, she did, yes,” Dolan said. “I was running a business, and she didn’t do very well in it, and she was real unhappy about that. And she decided to go get a lawyer.”

Browne, a vice president with the N.C.A.A., responded to the comments made by Dolan and Thomas via email.

“Dolan and Thomas continue to act as if the jury’s verdict is open to debate,” she said. “It is not. Had there been any question that the jury got it wrong, there was an opportunity to appeal. Having chosen not to, their attacks years later should be rejected as clearly delusional and a continuation of their contemptuous treatment of women.”

Browne added, “Anyone who is familiar with the trial will know that Dolan and Thomas were not believed by the jury, and they are not believable now.”

In his interview with HBO, Dolan said he had turned down a settlement with Browne — a decision that wound up costing the Garden millions after the jury ruled in her favor. “The fighter in me came out,” Dolan said. “I’m like: You know what? I’m not going to settle because that’s an admission of guilt and we’re not guilty.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/s...-surprised-by-isiah-thomas-backlash.html?_r=0

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

June 2006? This thread may set a SJ record for oldest necro ever.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Knicks fan, I can say f#ck Jim Dolan.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That they never posted on in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted