1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaiah to coach Knicks. Adios Larry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gee. Assessing the talent on hand, and trying to figure out a way to win with the players you have.

What a concept.

The Knicks' talent is horribly mismatched, due to Isiah's incompetence (and also somewhat to the idiots who ran the show before him), but it is not like there is absolutely no talent there. There is enough talent on the roster, they should have won 30-35 games.

By the way, Larry Brown indeed did have a plan: if he didn't get the roster he demanded, he would intentionally put the players in situations to produce the worst possible results, proving yet again how much better the team would have been if they had done what he demanded from the start, thus setting up easy whipping boy/scapegoats for his self-serving, responsibility-dodging, ego-stroking, infantile tirades.

In other words, exactly what he did with the Olympic team.

The job of a basketball coach is to win as many games as he can with the team he's got, not to make up as many excuses as he can think of as to why he can't, and why it's always somebody else's fault.

2. Starman

Here's an interesting update:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/COLUMNIST03/606230362/1108/SPORTS01

The final arbiter of Brown's contract will be David Stern, which means Brown can expect a payoff of approximately $0.00.

:eek:

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't see how anyone could win with the band of losers the Knicks have assembled, but maybe Isiah will prove me wrong.

4. Starman

I doubt he'll "win", but undoubtedly he'll win a few more than Brown did, and at least Dolan, and for that matter Knicks fans, and for that matter the rest of the NBA (not coincidentally, including David Stern), will be at least reasonably sure the coach is actually trying to win, not intentionally tanking games to prove to the whole wide world how horrible the roster is, and what fools your bosses were for not instantly caving in to all your roster demands.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

A. Not news at all. Was widely reported in NY yesterday within hours of Dolan saying Larry was fired "for cause." and would not be paid the $4- mill he is owed.
    B. Do you really believe that Stern is going to giver Brown nothing and expect to get away with it. Brown would have the Knicks and the NBA in court in a heartbeat and would clean their clocks for the $40 mill plus legal expenses.
    C. Stern -- who supposedly called Dolan in a few weeks ago and told him he better get his shit together and stop embarrassing the league -- will tell Dolan in no uncertain terms to settle this mess as quickly as possible ($20-25 mill sounds good) and then STFU about Larry Brown.

6. Next: a new boat for this old salt to pilot.
    http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=84394

7. Starman

B: In the ever more employer-friendly legal atmosphere we live in, don't bet on it. Flagrant willful insubordination and intentional operational sabotage is being looked upon more and more poorly these days.

Brown and his agent of course, will threaten to go to court, and the NBA and Knicks may very well say, "Fine. Bring it on." By the time he gets done in court, Larry Brown may never set foot in an NBA arena again.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

That's a rather strong accusation, star -- that Brown was intentionally throwing games.

Care to give a few examples?

9. Starman

Intentionally and continually playing the wrong players in the wrong positions.

Did Larry Brown order Marbury to intentionally throw the ball away with 10 seconds left in a tie game? Probably not.

But he continually did stuff he knew would just as unavoidably lead to losses (just as he did with the Olympic team), when he had other options. All to stick it to the management which failed to provide him with all the players he wanted, and to perpetrate his persona as the incomparable genius, cruelly denied the support he needed to win. And, of course, to stick it to the players, who were unwilling or unable to "play the right way."

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I understand the overall idea of what you're saying. I'm just looking for some specifics. Who'd he play in the wrong position and when?

I'm not trying to attack your argument here. I'm not sure I could even if it were wrong, since I watched about 30 minutes of Knicks basketball this past season. I'm only looking for specifics.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot of people thought he was intentionally throwing games. He never settled on a rotation. He started more than 40 different lineups (an NBA record). The thinking goes this way:

Larry came to NY thinking it'd be his last stop. He wanted to make good in his hometown. He'd perform a miracle, turn things around and end his career a hero. Then he got here and realized Isaiah was not only a bigger idiot than he thought, but Isaiah had no intention of sitting quietly in the big office and letting Larry make the decisions. It turned into a power play. Larry gambled. He figured that being owned $40 million there was no way he'd be the one to get axed, that it would be Isaiah. So he just took Isaiah's horrible moves and tred to make him look even worse by sabatoging things. Thing is, the gamble backfired. Dolan hated Larry's guts.

Most of you are right. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 30 to 35 wins out of this roster. My only point earlier on the thread was that whether Larry sabatoged things or not, don't get carried away looking at the "talent" on this roster. There is a lot of baggage on this team. I don't care how great a baskketball player Stephon Marbury is (and he is a phenomenal talent), there is something about his makeup that destroys teams. Steve Francis has a little bit of that in him, too. Eddy Curry has the physical gifts to be one of the best players in the NBA... and he isn't. Nuff said. Jamal Crawford is a great talent, but has a horrible penchant for playing out of control. Jalen Rose has been poison to how many teams now? This is just an ugly, ugly mix of players. The talent looks good, but I think the sum is always going to be much worse than the parts--regardless of whether Larry tanked away 10 games last year. And they are pretty much stuck with it, because they are sitting on some ridiculous contracts.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As Ragu was pointing out, Brown's starting rotation was awful. He would start some of the shittiest players on his team for the sole purpose that the town they were playing in that night was the undrafted signing's home town or nearby the kid's college.

Jalen Rose, a known cancer, was heralded by Brown and they said things would work. Rose started and/or played pretty well in the first 6-games or so and then received 10-straight "DNP Coach's Decision."

To top it off, the 40 different line-ups had little or nothing to do with injuries.

"What's that Qyntel Woods? You are from Memphis? Oh, it just so happens that's where we are playing today. You get to start! Starbury, you get to sit."

Draft saved Draft deleted