1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your paper cutting back on prep football coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Aug 19, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The paper I used to work for part-time (it closed) and the remaining seven papers in the chain wanted to rely more on statisticians and the like entering things in a form that appears on a Web site and, ideally, the paper. "Trusted users" they're called.

Well, last spring, one of our biggest schools was playing in a baseball tournament two hours away, at a school covered by one of our sister papers. So, knowing that the coach wouldn't call until he got home, I found the info on the other team's page.

The "trusted user"? Joc S. Trap.

Lotsa luck with that, guys.

2. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

I understand your point. Well said.

It sounds like you are the type of SE who goes to bat for his section and has a great feel for where the boundaries are while pushing for things.

I respect that totally.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks. Got a kick out of a note that went around to the night crew that we needed to start practicing making the new deadlines, and it was noted that I'm already nailing both! Most other papers I've worked at, the sports dept. always gets the blame when the run is late, despite the face we're nailing deadline! Of course, we've been office-bound the whole time, but football season starts in a week.

One other thing I keep in mind too ... our readers love their high school football, but there are very successful boys and girls soccer, boys and girls basketball, girls volleyball and baseball and softball as well that will need some love when their time comes. I know there's been a little more budgeted for mileage and OT in post-season months, but still need to watch expenses. It may mean skipping early-season OOC games, and relying more on Maxpreps for rosters, but we do what we can.

Draft saved Draft deleted